recommend Smith guide service?

beacon

I'd like to give a guided climbing experience as a gift to some friends. They are beginner climbers who've done a little toproping in the Portland area but have never been to a significant area like Smith. I'd like to see them get more adventure and instruction than the average tourist gets on Easy Reader.

There are 6 services listed over at Smithrock.com. I'd appreciate any help choosng a decent one.

Edited by beacon

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time I climbed at Smith was with Tom Egan. He guides for Timberline Mountain Guides most springs and Jackson Hole Mt. Guides the rest of the year. Look up FA's in the Gorge and you'll see his name (i.e. he knows the place pretty well). He showed me some great lead climbs and set up TR's on harder stuff that were not in the most populated areas.

out of the companies listed on smithrock.com, i can recommend the First Ascent folks that operate out of RedPoint. But I'm not sure how much they'd vary from the usual Buckets-Easy Reader circuit.

If you're looking to get a more customized/personalized experience, I can recommend Northwest Wilderness Institute. They're smaller and more likely to be booked for the summer. They don't have a web site but I can probably find their contact info for you.

My husband who doesn't climb took me to Smith last year for my birthday and also purchased a climbing companion for me from Chockstone Guides (www.chockstoneclimbing.com). I had a great day. We climbed from 9am-7:00pm. We did some trad, then some sport and then some more trad. This was my first time following trad and my first trip to Smith. We had a couple of mantras for the day that helped to decide where when and what we'd climb and they were simple....stay in the shade and no waiting in line. We ended up climbing at the Red Wall, Mesa Verde Wall, and the Smith Rock Group. It was an excellent day. I would definitely use them again. The guide should do pretty much whatever the client wants to do. If they want adventure they should get it. Yep,yep,yep.

Unless you think they would enjoy a ride up Zion or Monkey Face, skip Smith and give them a nice peak ascent in WA. The guide scene at Smith is a clusterf*ck and it's not just from too many guides. The quality beginner and intermediate climbs there are few and far between. There are a couple of nice adventure scrambles off the beaten path but for the most part, all of the fun moderates are a toprope factory mill.

I booked a few days in June with Smith Rock Climbing Guides. I've been pleased with my correspondence over the phone thus far and anticipate a good experience with professional service. Timberline said they were "all booked up with groups".