Portland vs. Pullman

artesonraju

Right now I live in Portland, but I have a great job offer at WSU in Pullman and I am considering the move. I know that it would be closer to climbing in Idaho, Montana, and Canada, and about the same distance to the Eastside Cascades. How's the local cragging? What do you Pullmanites think of the local scene (nightlife, culture, restaraunts, etc.)? Will I have to go up to the big city of Spokane for entertainment?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I travel there for buiness weekly. The only good thing about that area is that there is descent fishing close by. That is it. Other than that it is in the middle of nowhere. Moscowites all have soapboxes to stand on and nothing gets done and the two communities whine about what the other is fdoing. There is not much to do there especially coming from Portland, but if you like really small towns hat are not that pretty, then you may like it. Cost of living would be a plus! And some aice comes in during cold durations! They are college towns so if you are single watch out. Its college or middle-aged divorcees. Watch out!

shoot me a PM if you want. I've been here 7 years.

The best local cragging is in spokane (1.75 hrs to crag), lightning dome (2.25 hrs to crag); granite point is 25 minutes and is currently getting lead routes rebolted. skiing 2 hrs minimum (but 2.5 to the wallowas). ice is anywhere from 30 minutes to 7.5 hrs to Banff or Bozeman. Bugaboos are about 6 to the turnoff.

here's a bit on the climbing scene:

http://cub.wsu.edu/wsualpine/local.asp

I picked WSU for my BS because I did not want distractions. It worked, there are none (other than watching the wheat/lentils grow). I hit the books hard durring the wk so I could escape every single weekend. Lv fri pm, back monday am for a lowsy two day climb in the Cascades. A group of us were so bored one Sat we drove 6hrs to Seattle for lunch, 6 hours back.

Then again it has everything a college campus town has. Lectures, drinking,girls, drinking, movies, drinking.

It is a ghost town in the Summer and durring breaks.

Having said that, there are lots of bored students and a very active Alpine Club:

http://cub.wsu.edu/wsualpine/

Edited by jhamaker

I've lived in each place for about 5 years, so have perspective on both...

PM me or email and I'd be happy to share some thoughts.

The answer to your question really depends on your personality and what your needs are. Having said that, I have great things to say about both places....

FWIW, I live in Seattle now...so the west side won out over the east side in the end...

The WSU Alpine Club was the best thing about my years in Pullman, by far...not sure what its status is these days, but it was great when I was there...even if it was full of crusty cynics who swill PBR... :wave:

About an hour NE of Moscow is this place called Freezout Ridge. I used to do a bunch of AT skiing there. It's near a town called Clarkia. Here's a summertime link Driving past Clarkia could be tough in the winter. They were logging near there when I was in Moscow so you could drive a van there. Having a snowmobile would be a big plus.

If you go there be sure to stop in the one bar in Clarkia. It's a dinky place full of drunk loggers. (at least as long as you aint chicken)

Spent six years there and just completed sending kids there for the last seven. It doesn't change much. The Alpine Club was the place I cut my climbing teeth and it got my son into climbing as well. Day trips are about as you would expect from Portland (except there's no Mt Hood). Great advantage in terms of traffic, access to solitude (even in wheat and lentils) and a great place to access Canada and all it has to offer.

Hi Everyone:

Thanks for all of the advice; keep it coming.

Fortunately, I am not single (but that is only temporary if I move, at least according to Mike). And, it seems like a great place to raise kids (at least until our girl turns 13 and becomes fodder for the lecherous WSU guys!).

I am used to the 4+ hour commutes to Leavenworth and the North Cascades, and it does seem like that would change. Might be able to get in more trips to the Bugs and Canadian Rockies. Don't need that much night life, but I will miss the Portland restaraunts!

Well if you are looking to replace the PDX restaurants then a trip to the Tp Notch Cafe in Colfax should make you feel right at home! The Red Door is an over-rated restaurant in Moscow and taere is one decent place for dinner over by the movie theatre and one great lunch spot down by the train tracks in the center of town. Pretty cool wine shop though.

If you are into fly-fishing and upland bird hunting for pheasant, this place is paradise. I don't mind going if I get to do these things on the side, but outside of that I personally could never live there. To each his own though. Definately a much more conservative community except the way too far left Moscow Mountain hippie communers just over the border. makes for interesting political discussions between Moscow and Pullman though!