• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Peter_Puget

Rock climbing v Mountainering

By the way I have climbed on Dragontail and never considered a route going to the summit.

:lmao:

Darrington - Rock Climbing

Washington Pass - Rock Climbing

Stuart Range - Mountaineering

Enchantments - Mountaineering

Leavenworth - Rock Climbing

Static Point - Rock Climbing

What about routes like the E Face of Cutthroat, it sure looks alpine to me. Or how about the pictures of Burgundy in winter (or any routes in winter for that matter). Is this region really reduced to "just" rock climbing at the onset of summer.

Yeah, I meant the Liberty Group spires and only in summer. I guess that would be Mountaineering though afterall. A short approach doesn't take from the fact that it is still a mountain peak and not a crag.

I don't think "rock climbing" and mountaineering are necessarily exclusive of each other. Mountaineering can involve climbing rock, snow, ice.. Maybe the distinction you're looking for is between Alpine Rock and cragging?

Easy. Rock climbing is just practice for Mountaineering, i.e. an entierly contained sub-set of mountaineering.

Some people just get lost in the foothills. Nothing wrong with that. sickie ;)

Damn Taxonomists! Eh, Fendfour? :laf:

Rock Climbing is to Mountaineering

what Bouldering is to Summitting

Oly-style edit: NTTAWWT sickie

Edited by MisterE

seems like you're more likely to get laid if your a badass rock climber versus a badass mountaineer - chix don't dig the ratty polypro :noway:

What is this 'good' you speak of?

I'm with G. It's rock climbing if it's rock climbing to you. It's mountaineering if you define your activity as mountaineering. The terms themselves are vague, and don't stand up well to logical scrutiny.

Quote from buildering.net:

"To those who partake in the activity, it's called buildering. For the rest, it's simply bewildering..."

seems like you're more likely to get laid if your a badass rock climber versus a badass mountaineer - chix don't dig the ratty polypro :noway:

You are more likely to get laid if you aren't an asshole, can carry on a decent conversation, and you take care of yourself.

You are more likely to get laid if you aren't an asshole, can carry on a decent conversation, and you take care of yourself.

hmm...so you're saying no kinda climbers got much chance of getting a slice of the shush?

It's the shoes, Man.

makes sense - you don't hear much about bowlers drowning in the stank neither :)

I could have put a third circle on here with mustache rides and the Nodder but I wanted to keep it simple for stupid people (like Kevbone)duh.JPG

hmm...so you're saying no kinda climbers got much chance of getting a slice of the shush?

Ab-so-f*cking-loot-lee

Ab-so-f*cking-loot-lee

so are sport climbers just having a lot of sex w/ each other then? 'cuz they act like a well-laid bunch - mega-american.

It's the shoes, Man.

makes sense - you don't hear much about bowlers drowning in the stank neither :)

haha. I had to edit for stinky-foots.

The shoes MAKE the man, not odor-detracting.. :lmao:

I dont disagree at all that easly ascents of El Cap were some of the most extreme climbs of their time.

...but they were still less adventures into the unknown that the Becky route?

Ya mean that route at the Feathers? Adventure into the unknown? Just follow the bolts.