climbing near Calgary

ybatom

Hi. I'm going to be in Calgary for a week at the beginning of June and I'd like to do some climbing while I'm there. I'd appreciate any advice about convenient places to climb (sport or trad) in the area. Or if anyone could point me toward the right guidebook, I'd be grateful.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yamnuska if you're feeling a wee bit stout and bold. Grotto Canyon near Canmore is alright short sportish limestone. The slate slab climbing on the golf course in Banff is worth it just for the ambiance, though many of the bolts were for shit when I was last there over 15 years ago. Lots of other stuff in the area too.

You can always just go hike around with your mouth hanging open. Seems like most of the hordes never venture more than a hundred yards from their vehicles.

Yam looks like da bomb. I stopped and checked it out and it looks cool. We made the mistake of trying to get info on climbing there from some gym in Canmore. They were no help. They told us to go do all the bolted sport routes. I hear there's a ton of good sport climbing, but Yamnuska is the place to go if you want to be cool.

I'm not sure how to get route info on it. I had a really old guide, but we couldn't even figure out the approach hike. (guess we were dumb)

Another vote for Yamnuska! Grassi Lakes just out of Canmore is really fun as well; short overhanging pockety limestone routes. Also above Canmore you'll fiund some fun multi-pitch sport route on EEOR. If you have time the climbing at Lake Louise is also excellent. The guidebook you want is "Bow Valley Rock".

canr16.jpg

Yamnuska; slimy rock and big runouts!! Yee haw!

your closest option from calgary is prerie creek. it's about 45 minute drive (depends on time of the day and your location in town). grassi lakes in canmore would be also possible to climb in the afternoon. you can get all the info from several guidebooks (Bow Valley rock, ghost, sport climbs in canadian rockies). june it's usually mixed bag, sometimes it's possible to do some mixed alpine riggs (n facing and high up). there are 2 or 3 climbing gyms in town (calgary climbing center is one of them). mec will have a good selection of guides. you can also check www.live-the-vision.com and possible look for partners there.

Here is my quick picks

Yam, trad, 1000ft, 5.7-12 :tup: :tup: :tup:

Grotto, sport, 1P (though I think there is some multi), :tup:

Grassi, sport, 1P :tup: :tup: :tup:

Rundle, sport/mixed, 1-15P, :tup: :tup:

Chinaman, mixed, 10-15P, :tup: :tup:

Mt. Louis, trad, 10-15+P, 5.7 and up :tup: :tup: :tup: