Minihaha science experiment

My little Emily, in an effort to win the coveted Finch Elementary Science Fair for the third time in four years, will be conducting an experiment trying to grow moss over some of the graffiti at Mini for the next few weeks. She will be working on the West end of the front face, so if you see a bunch of mud smeared on the rock over some graffiti, please do not mess with it. She is going to start by trying to cover that big red heart, wish her luck.

Picture_081a.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I was just about to sandblast all that off...

I'd like to help with that project. The secondary face and over by Don Q are getting really bad too. Were you planning on a big project or sticking to the main wall? Did you have a date in mind?

Thanks spotly for your offer. Yes, we need to get everything we can from the main bouldering area, to main to secondary faces including Don Q, and the bouldering area we can reach above secondary face. It'll be an effort. I estimate it'll take a full day with at least 4-5 people to pull compressor, haul around and load sand pot, blast, and cleanup. For areas off the ground, I have a steel cable to hang from that can be rigged from above. No date yet, but it'll take time to plan and recruit.

Here's three photos from 2002's gargantuan effort where we blasted over 4 days, and 200 folks showed up for the final full day.

Folks showing up on the wet morning of the big, final cleanup day:

2002_cleanup_-_wet_morning_arrival.jpg

Novice Rocks blasting with compressor, sand pot on truck:

2002_Cleanup_-_Novice_Rocks.jpg

Blasting on Heart Route:

2002_cleanup_-_Tom_Heart_Route_blast.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

E, it's gonna take at least a month to plan and get folks together. Ted, yes, I will ask the MS folks, thanks.

I just got assigned a new work project that will take me to Wenatchee during weekdays for at least the next 6 weeks. I'll be back on weekends. How about a weekend day in June. Who's interested in helping, and what weekend day would be good?

And hey, E, I like the new avatar with the nice big, uh, beer steins.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man, I think i need to apologize but me an Keith Robertson were out bolderin one day. I was like hey Keith look at that muddy slab, reminds me of the time I took a cleavland steemer on your sisters chest when were in the 7th grade. Keith was like hey donny why dont you shut your pie ho.e and i was like make me and he was like i will then he threw his anasazi at me. Anyway me an keith are way into first ascents. I think we got like 50 of em at Minne alone. So keith got out his wire brush and scrubed the dirt off this thing and we sent it. Well i dsent it first and named it cleavenland steemer on yuour sisters chest. But keith didnt like it so we were got in a fight and were restlin around on the dirt for a minute till i got a bloddy nose. That''s when it donned on us we should call it red slab, like the red paint on the rock thats unmder the dirt and my bloody nose. Its like v5 swear to god cause im in real good boulderin shape right now and only took me 2 trys. Anyway, sorry to be climbing on your daughters moss if i was but red slab is v5.