fledgling trad rack

Jelf

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, just keep an eye out for sales. Full sets of nuts go on sale all the time and so do the sets of Metolius TCU's. Just stick with some standard sizes and work to odd things like tiny cams and huge cams only when you have routes that require them.

Can't go wrong with .75, 1, 2 and 3 Black Diamond cams if you do decide to throw down for some.

push in, pull out... just like Mr Jimmi

hmmm i dont' have a Jimmi so that explains why i don't get it. acter some discusion it seems like the issue is not so much that i can't get the tri cam out as it is that my ropegun places shit too high for me to reach from the good stance. nuts and cams i can generaly coax out of the crack with one hand... not so much the tri cam. live and learn and keep trying :moondance:

hmmm i dont' have a Jimmi so that explains why i don't get it

you should learn to be more hands on...works great for you and your partner.

i can generaly coax it out of the crack with one hand...

sounds like you are on your way, practice makes perfect!! have fun!

I scooped this page from another web site

Sink the pink

I have placed a pink tricam on almost every pitch I have lead. My red tricam only gets used half as much.

Different technologies do differnt things. Tricams are bomber in horizontal cracks, flared cracks and pockets where often times, nothing else would have any hope of sticking much less holding a fall.

If you haven't mastered them, you are doing too many long runouts or not enough hard climbing.

Tri Cams rule. They are a really good thing to have doing alpine routes since they don't weigh you down like the same set of cams.

will someone pretty please teach me how to remove a tricam???

thank you :moondance:

The pinks and reds are notorious for getting stuck, but there are couple of ways of working them out.

1. First I try getting behind and under the rocker on the tricam with a nut tool and twist to lift the rocker, forcing the spike down. Once loose try hooking around the spike and pull out out the tri-cam.

2. You can also try getting in front and on top of the rocker with your nut tool and twist to force the rocker down. Pull the tri-cam out while holding down the rocker with your nut tool.

3. For over cammed tri-cams bang the hell out of the bottom of the rocker.

4. For squeezed in tri-cams try 1. and 2., cuss like a mofo, scrape your knuckles, cuss even more, then yell up to your partner to get it on rappel.

easy start... set o' nuts...mid-range hexes. Learn how to place those, and add cams as you need them for routes. That way you learn to place passive pieces (easier to evaluate placement)at a level well below your sport-climbing limit ergo decreasing your chances of falling on a crappy placement. Add time and money and you're climbing hard stuff on a complete rack.

Remember to carry your open mind in addition to a full rack. Many, many times upon many times have I used slings, webbing, and prusik cords to sling and improvise protection. In semi and off-width you may find or can carry and start placing chalk stones (rocks) in wedged in the crack. Sling 'em, stand on 'em. Watch Crouching Tiger and see what you get from the scene wher Li Mu Bai bests the girl with a stick vs the sword Green Destiny and translate that to climbing. Use the obvious, but many times we do not leave that opening as apparant.

Talking to some old timers they used to carry stones and large machined nuts to place in cracks and thus slung them.

Stay alert and open to or create the obvious. Sometimes technology doesn't replace old school nor technique.