Grivel 360 Deg Ice Screw

wdietsch

Looking for some user feedback on these units.

Are they any good? How well do they place and clean? How well does the hanger preform? How much clearance do you need to swing the handle?

Mountain Gear has them on sale for $35. Looking to pick up a couple more screws before the winter festivities begin.

Thanks,

Wes

[This message has been edited by westerntk@aol.com (edited 10-16-2001).]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll probably get a lot of differing responses on this one.

I bought one, and found it a pain in the ass to remove from one's harness. It seemed like it was always getting caught.

Once you started placing them, them seemed okay - and fast.

I ended up selling the one I bought and just kept using the BD express screws.

Wes,

I have used the regular grivel screws, without the quick turn handle. I found the screw to be infrior to the BD. They were tough to place and tough to get started as well.

I know others that have expressed the same opinion.

Also the turn handle is large and just seems like it would get in the way and get caught up on things.

If you get some let us know how they place and how they wear.

Hey dude,

I always carry one. They are a little of a fuss to get off your harness. But I carry mine on a sling around my body. I use it for when I get a mighty pump in the arms and need a screw fast. Once the teeth are started they go in super fast. You cannot beat them for this purpose in my experiences.......

And don't forget you can also use the plastic holster.

[This message has been edited by Cpt.Caveman (edited 10-16-2001).]

I agree with EV's assesment of the grivel 360. The coffee grinder handle works well, the teeth bite firm, but it is lame to carry and remove when needed. I use them for belays when I don't want to dick around and get my screws set quickly. For desperate terrain I might be wary of loading them at the front of the magazine so to speak.

Rafael H,

Judging by your willingness to part with the unit can I assume you that you have formed a negative attitude towards them? I do appreciate the offer.

Well then, the score sits at 4 no's to the Captain's lone yes (not pick'n on ya Cavey). I think I am going to pass and probably pick up a couple more Laser's (Barrabes, $37).

I did pick up another of the BD Expresses' when REI had them on sale a couple of weeks ago.

FYI .... if you have never used one of the CM Lasers' I suggest you check them out. I bought several years back when I was working in France. I'll take a CM Laser over a standard BD screw any day.

Thanks for the feedback gents,

Best Wishes,

Wes