3 man denali tents

snowbound

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are looking at doing the west buttress route, then it would be a good idea (not a requirement) to get a REALLY big 3 person tent. A tent like the NF ve 25 (1 3 perosn tent) is very good for denali but very tight for three. A few nights up at high camp is OK, but things may get tense with three for the entire 3 weeks. Think about going up with a three person tent (which in actual is really a 2 person expedition tent) and a extra small tent like a bibler. Or try to have one person sleep in a mega mid which a great thing to bring along anyway as a cook shelter.

As others have mentioned, a 3-person tent just doesn't work a that well for three people on an extended duration trip. A four-person tent (like the Bombshelter) would be a good way to go, but my two cents is that you should bring a 3-person tent AND a megamid. Use the tent for sleeping only (no gear storage or cookin) and use the megamid for hanging out, cooking, and storing gear. Leave the megamid behind when you head up to 17,000ft and just pack the tent.

there is a lot more to evaluate a expedition tent than just weight alone. A tarp is pretty light but I won't trust it for serious stuff.

I don't know anything about the ev3, just older ve 25's. The ev3 is probably a good tent. The ve25 has been in the high ranges for a long time. They must have made something right.

I would have to agree with genepires on this. A NF VE-25 and Megamid combo is a pretty good tent set up for the West Buttress of Denali (if that is your intended route). Freakishly light 3 person tents are cool and useful, but unless you intend to pop on over to the W. Rib (or something more difficult...)I would save your money and go with the VE-25 and the Megamid (BTW, the Meagmid Light is just that- it's crazy light). If one of your buddies is opposed to sleeping in the cook tent, you could always opt for the larger MH Trango 4. I think the Trango 4 is not that much heavier than the VE-25 and dispersed between three climbers, the weight is quite reasonable for the West Buttress.

FYI - My Trango 3.1 suffered two broken poles from winds est. 80-90 mph on Hood last spring. They said it was because I didn't have it rigged correctly and that may be true since all the internal stays between tent and fly weren't hooked up. Still, they replaced the poles and ripped fly on warranty. Was glad it was only an over-nighter trip. Point is that some 4- season tents take a long time and lots of work to set up while others are way more user friendly. Makes a difference after a long day. In really bad weather it can make a really big difference.

FYI - My Trango 3.1 suffered two broken poles from winds est. 80-90 mph on Hood last spring. They said it was because I didn't have it rigged correctly and that may be true since all the internal stays between tent and fly weren't hooked up. Still, they replaced the poles and ripped fly on warranty. Was glad it was only an over-nighter trip. Point is that some 4- season tents take a long time and lots of work to set up while others are way more user friendly. Makes a difference after a long day. In really bad weather it can make a really big difference.