[TR] Dragontail - Triple Couloir 4/19/2007

tvashtarkatena

I went up to the SGC with Pochi and met up with Brian M and Matt. We waited out in the tent all sunday and monday it was bluebird, but there was ~4 ft of sugar snow and we stopped at the base of the couloir after a couple hours of wallowing.

showphoto.php?photo=26925&cat=500&ppuser=8843

We went pretty heavy, intending to wait out the storm sunday.

showphoto.php?photo=26926&ppuser=8843

The NE face of stuart looks awesome right now!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was one of the climbers that someone's friend talked to on Sunday evening (day or two after this Trip). We headed up there on Sunday morning, but as mentioned, got turned around by loud shifting/breaking noise from deep underneath my feet... not once but twice. There was certainly more than a couple of inches in the couloir- I was definitely mid thigh deep when I tried to cross the couloir the first time (halted by aforementioned unsettling snow noise). It warmed up substantially during the day, and we left in a good rain. I did my best to take some pictures of the new conditions from below if anyone's interested.
Holy crap, those had to be scary noises! Bill, of course we'd be interested in some pictures. Thanks for chiming in. What a difference a day makes!

No. Snowshoes are definitely not needed.

I guess Dave was asking whether snowshoes were/are needed for Stuart.. it could be a cakewalk on terra firma till you turn off towards Colchuck, and then a big post-hole fest after that till you get to Stuart. Last year, we had to bail on the ice cliff route in mid-April partly because we were sinking too much without snowshoes. Another team with snowshoes did the route a day before us, and there was enough traffic to Colchuck without floatation as well.

BTW, nice jorb on TCs!

Sort of...the Hidden Couloir is, well, hidden in the second photo, but that photo clearly shows the 2nd Couloir. The obvious notch in the second photo corresponds to the notch at the top of the red line in the first photo.

The red line is the Dragontail Madness route, kinda sort of.

471638255_e11e0f3deb_o.jpg

Edited by tvashtarkatena