Driving Screws!

selkirk

Ok, get your mind out of the gutter....

Anybody have any tricks for driving screws in awkard positions? I'm trying to mount a hangboard and having a hell of time getting the screws to sink. It's an old house so I have a feeling it's a 2"x8" beam behind the door, and I just can't keep enough pressure on the drill or screw driver to keep the bit from slipping and stripping the screw heads :anger: I don't want to drill too large a starter hole so that I don't comprimise the strength, and I don't know that I would trust a small bit to get in 3 inches??

Any ideas would be much appreciated!!

Cheers

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm, not particulary wide heads 1/4" or 3/8" maybe? The heads fit the standard phillips head bits I have.

I see where you going there, is there something with a wider head that I get some more torque on before it slips?

Now that I think about it I should probably just get square drives :)

If it's old dry wood you may want a full depth pilot hole just to keep the wood from splitting. There are different sized phillips head and you may not have the right size. but it could just be the awkward angle, as you mention. If you can set the clutch on your driver, set it lower to get just enough torque and allow it to slip before it starts spinning in the head of the screw. But if you don't mind the look, a square drive screw, as you noted, is probably your best solution.

Impactor and Robertson screws!! even with a little 12v'er you can drive a 4' screw in one side of a 4x4 post and out the other without any noticable torque on your hands. 1000+lb/feet torque as apposed to 400-500lb/ft for a high-end 18v or better cordless drill. Also you will almost never strip out screw heads.

Even the inferiour phillips heads won't strip!

(proper-size) pilot hole solution = 1/8" X 6" (or 8", depending on availability) drill bit

additionally, as suggested, DRY handsoap or parafin applied to screw threads.

do not use oils as thread lubricant when it will get on drywall as it can fuck with subsequent paint/finish applications.