City of Seattle Building code (or King County)

olyclimber

I have a question about the City of Seattle's building code (or maybe it is King County's?)...specifically how close to the property line can someone build their house? I thought it was 5 feet. The developer building the monstrosity spec house next door seemed to be following this rule, and but then they tacked this part of the new house that sticks out...and that part is about 3.5 feet from the property line. Has he gone against code? If I decided to build my house with something like that 3.5 feet from the property line, that would leave 7 feet for fire fighters, etc...doesn't seem right to me.

If he has gone against code, what should I do.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Let's have a link to the listing.

I need a good laugh.

Might be even funnier to look at the terms of the financing after it sells.

Will probably have to be a cash purchase, go through with a $413K downpayment, or a jumbo sporting a rate way over the tab for conforming fixed 20-down, 30-year financing.

Good news! You can now be my next door neighbor for a mere $830,000! Right next to my broken down VW bus and growing lawn art collection.

A perk is that I do have a climbing wall on the side of my house, so you can come over and do some belaying.

Did you put some shoe rubber on that peg leg or what?

So how far did the setback end up being? DId you call? Did you raise hell? Did you find the INternet?

there was a loop hole if the setback was caused by a fireplace chimney...and it was venting for the gas fireplace. so they could get away with it. if it hadn't been legal i'm not sure i could have gotten any of the lazy bastards at the city to do anything about it...they were very uninterested in my inquiry.

I need a good laugh.

Will probably have to be a cash purchase, go through with a $413K downpayment, or a jumbo sporting a rate way over the tab for conforming fixed 20-down, 30-year financing.

thats the price on the flyer out in front of the house. i see online it is already down to $784,950! Buyers market! What a steal!

http://www.windermere.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Listing.ListingDetail&ListingID=18678123

i watched the construction, this builder is a total cheapskate...it was really thrown together. he paid 250,000 for the lot (more than i paid for my larger lot with a house on it!), and i bet he didn't spend more than 200,000 on the house.

we talked to the contractors working for him, the guy has a terrible reputation where ever he goes with pissing off all the neighbors and treating the people working for him like crap. but his money is green.

it will be interesting to see how much the house will go for...with the market as it is, you'd be a fool to pay a penny over 600,000 IMO for what you're getting. Even that is way overpriced.

I need a good laugh.

thats the price on the flyer out in front of the house. i see online it is already down to $784,950! Buyers market! What a steal!

http://www.windermere.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Listing.ListingDetail&ListingID=18678123

i watched the construction, this builder is a total cheapskate...it was really thrown together. he paid 250,000 for the lot (more than i paid for my larger lot with a house on it!), and i bet he didn't spend more than 200,000 on the house.

we talked to the contractors working for him, the guy has a terrible reputation where ever he goes with pissing off all the neighbors and treating the people working for him like crap. but his money is green.

it will be interesting to see how much the house will go for...with the market as it is, you'd be a fool to pay a penny over 600,000 IMO for what you're getting. Even that is way overpriced.

Love how they provide the interest rate for conforming vs. jumbo loans on their calculator there. Last 20-down, 30 year fixed jumbo rates I saw started at 7.125%, so unless the DP is enough to bring the balance down to $417K, the real montly nut will be around $4200, not including taxes or insurance, even if the buyer has the $160K for the 20% down.

I think that comes to roughly $81K/year of after-tax income just to cover the monthly mortgage nut, before you even start pay for utilities, insurance, food, groceries, transportation, etc, etc, etc, etc,

If you go by the long-since-forgotten and abandoned rules that total housing costs shouldn't exceed 28% of your gross and/or three times your income, anyone who has the $160K on hand for the 20% downpayment should also have a gross somewhere in the $260-300K range.

Median household income in Seattle is roughly $48K, and I'd be astonished to learn that there are as many $250-300K/year households in Seattle as there are $750K and up homes.

Good thing real-estate only goes up.

WSJ has an interactive map that breaks the stats down by state and metro-area for the entire US between 2004 and 2006.

Might come in handy if you want to keep tabs on where your money is going when you foot the bill for the bail-out.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/retro-SUBPRIME07.html

Bob Kiyosaki and Carlton Sheets, what hath thou wrought...