Crazy F*ckers and Mr. Glock

Skeezix

I do not have statistics in front of me, but there are quite a few people (1000?) every year who have saved their lives by using a gun to defend themselves against an attacker.

That's convenient. :rolleyes: I do have the stats in front of me and in 2005 368,178 crimes were commited with firearams and 11,351 murders were committed.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/guncrimetab.htm

And go back before the gun, people were killing each other there too. Big deal.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I can't stress enough how many of us, especially here in the Northwest, need to carry a gun for personal safety while out in the great outdoors. I often post about the cougars, bobcats, bear that I see while I am out fishing or hiking on my own. I promise you this: get tracked by a cat once, you will never go anywhere without at least considering carrying a gun again.

And I can't stress enough how many of us, especially here in the Northwest, need to carry a gun for personal safety while out in the great outdoors. I often post about the cougars, bobcats, bear that I see while I am out fishing or hiking on my own. I promise you this: get tracked by a cat once, you will never go anywhere without at least considering carrying a gun again.

Don't know if I'm too afraid of Bobcats or bears around here but a Cougar would scare the hell out me. Seen one only once and it was enough for me to get the hell out where I was, as I didn't have a gun.

Take that back a female bear in early summer might. The ones I have seen have been moving the hell fast to get away.

I almost hit a black bear on my XR 250. Came around a corner and just missed it. Thought it was someones dog out in the woods, (was looking for the owner) happened so fast didn't have time to be scared.

Edited by Seahawks

Don't know if I'm too afraid of Bobcats or bears around here but a Cougar would scare the hell out me. Seen one only once and it was enough for me to get the hell out where I was, as I didn't have a gun.

I'll wager a guess that if you weighed about 130lbs and had a trout in your hand, you'd be a little wary of a bobcat or bear giving you the eyeball... ;)

I'll wager a guess that if you weighed about 130lbs and had a trout in your hand, you'd be a little wary of a bobcat or bear giving you the eyeball... ;)

Have you ever seen a bobcat??? (wild one)I never have. That be pretty cool. Had a lady I work with once that bred Pixie Bobs, which technically are half Bob cat/ Half domestic cat. Those suckers are the most timid biggest house cat you ever seen.

Edited by Seahawks

Have you ever seen a bobcat??? (wild one)I never have. That be pretty cool. Had a lady I work with once that bred Pixie Bobs, which technically are half Bob cat/ Half domestic cat. Those suckers are the most timid biggest house cat you ever seen.

I've seen two already this season. Right in front of me. Well, one was right in front of me and the other was off to my left. I had to grab my 15lb dog before he chased off after it.

I've seen two already this season. Right in front of me. Well, one was right in front of me and the other was off to my left. I had to grab my 15lb dog before he chased off after it.

Love nature Pictures. That be one I'd like to get on my camera to put up and frame.

Probably if a cougar attacks you, it's going to come from behind, and you won't know until it has your neck in it's mouth, no? If it means business, it's probably going to kill you before you can get a shot off. (Based on cougar attack behavior, a hiking partner almost certainly makes you safer than a gun.)

And you're going to need more than a pistol for the kind of bear that charges...

I could see packing in case of aggressive humans though. God knows how easy it is for people to get guns these days.

Are we scared yet?

Edited by ashw_justin

Rat got in a standoff with a cougar a few years back. He made the cat back off by throwing rocks at it. He told me he had a gun in his truck, but he was too far from the truck.

So you're saying that killing the cougar with a gun is better than scaring it off by throwing rocks?

:noway:

I guess you need the outdoors sanitized so that no one could possible get hurt. We should probably gridbolt all the climbs as well.

My opinion is, you don't want to carry a gun, don't. But don't weigh my chances for me and then assume you are the best judge of what I should do. What gets me is folks here saying that these kids have a right to go to school without feeling scared, yet feel equally comfortable telling me that I am not afforded the same consideration. It makes me feel safer to carry a gun on me when I am alone in the woods.

I also feel better knowing I have my gun in my home in the city when I am alone. Maybe someday folks will feel this same rightous indignation about the fear that women live under in our society every fucking day and then get something done about that. Until then, I'll carry my gun fuck you very much.

I've done a ton of stuff that involves hiking through woods at night. While I have done some target practice with guns I have never been a gun owner. I've always figured that the chances of being attacked are very low, but that doesn't mean I want to impose my viewpoint on others. In the story I mentioned above I can see how just having a gun would make you feel safer even if you never actually used it.

I promise you this: get tracked by a cat once, you will never go anywhere without at least considering carrying a gun again.

Too true. I would suggest, however, remembering to remove it from your gear before rolling into Canookia the next morning for an impromptu Red Mountain 40" powder session.

If you're out in the woods by yourself and a cougar is obviously stalking you you may want to have the option of defending yourself. That doesn't mean you're hunting the cougar. In Rat's case he was able to scare the cat off with just a rock.

Other cases may vary. Back when I rappelled out of helicoptors for the gubmint, one of my crewmates was scouting our hike out and got eyeballed by a cat. He had a shovel and a radio. He was out of radio range. That cat stalked him for the hour and a half it took him to get back walking backwards. If he made eye contact and waved the shovel and yelled, the cat either moved back or stayed put. As soon as he had to break eye contact and not present such a threat, the cat moved on him. He finally got into radio range freaking out and I rolled over down into that draw with a Stihl O44 screaming at full throttle (didn't have a gun, best I could think of). That cat didn't bail until I got 10' away from him, and even then, reluctantly.

He also lurked us our entire hikeout, about 7 slow miles thru slide alder. Given the option, I'd have shot that fucker between the eyes.

you can't make an omlette w/o breaking eggs, no? nor can you have a right to bear arms and a right to a privacy w/o shit like this happening. i'm willing to sacrifice the former to preserve the later, for what it's worth...

Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security.

--Benjamin Franklin