Social Anxiety and panic attacks

rob

Anybody else get them? When? How often? How do you handle them?

I get extreme anxiety and sometimes panic attacks in large, social situations -- airport security lines, malls, pub clubs, etc. When it gets really bad, I pop a benzo or two and that seems to keep me from crawling out of my skin for a while, but it's still pretty spicy sometimes.

So far, the best remedy I've found is to just stay away from people. But this is hard with a family and kids who like to go to movies, the mall, the park, seattle center, etc.

Anyody else have similar problems? What do you do?

:eek:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I've tried the breathing thing, sometimes it helps a little.

Sometimes, if it's dark, I can hide in the back where nobody really notices me, and then I can kinda unwind.

The best remedy I've found is getting out into the mountains! But I can't do that everyday....

The whole thing is really just awful, it keeps me from doing so much.

I think cognitive behavior therapy is kind of interesting. Correct me if I'm worng but you basically get exposed to what you are afraid of till you realize your fears are irrational. Kind of like falling while climbing. Our mind doesn't like it but once you get used to it it's not so bad.

Are you smart? Do you fear large herds of cattle?

You may think these odd questions, but let me 'xplain.

The solution to your problem is to realize that you are smarter and better than anyone in the crowd of people, unless I am there. Just see them for what they are, cattle feeding on and contributing to the vast world economy, and do not fear them. Be grateful that the land of plenty which they perpetuate is what allows you to screw off with your life and do fun stuff. Shoot, I should be a psychiatrist.

I think cognitive behavior therapy is kind of interesting. Correct me if I'm worng but you basically get exposed to what you are afraid of till you realize your fears are irrational. Kind of like falling while climbing. Our mind doesn't like it but once you get used to it it's not so bad.

No, I think you're thinking of exposure therapy, which I guess is sometimes used for social anxiety disorders. I think I'd die, though.

But, my doc does say that cognitive-behavioral therapy is very effective for social anxiety disorders. He gave me the names of some therapists, but I've been too anxious to call any! :crazy:

The solution to your problem is to realize that you are smarter and better than anyone in the crowd of people, unless I am there. Just see them for what they are, cattle feeding on and contributing to the vast world economy, and do not fear them. Be grateful that the land of plenty which they perpetuate is what allows you to screw off with your life and do fun stuff. Shoot, I should be a psychiatrist.

:lmao: thx

If you engage in avoidance behavior it will get worse. DO NOT avoid situations that provoke your anxiety. If you stay in these situations nothing bad will happen, you will not embarrass yourself and your heart will not explode, I promise. Eventually the fear response will lessen and disappear. You will never forget the way that you responded but you will no longer have to fear the fear - you will be free!

Also, do not get hooked on benzos - very unpleasant to get unhooked.

I wish you all the best.

Jack

No, I think you're thinking of exposure therapy, which I guess is sometimes used for social anxiety disorders. I think I'd die, though.

What if you started with a crowd of babies, or say, two or three midgets, and gradually increased the number and size of persons present until you had a real crowd? It's all about increasing the tolerance level.

I have anziety attacks, take some generic prozac crap and it works well. Probably makes me a better person at the same time, who knows.

Prozac is for depression.........how ever anyone of the benzo's family would help..(valium, lorazepam,xanax.) these are for anxiey attackes.

A friend of mine suffers from similar issues; she is on the upswing after it got very bad (i.e. avoiding a lot of public places, very limited scope of travel from home). But it is slow progress, and hard for her. It still sounds like you are pretty functional; I'd try to hold your ground or better. If you want me to send her your contact info, pm me; she's cool and if she wanted to talk about it with you it might be helpful.