• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
G-spotter

hard drive crash

what do you mean it can't detect your operating system? When you boot your machine, what happens?

I get a black screen and some text saying it can't detect an operating system... that's all.

It's the photos from the last couple of days that aren't backed up that are the ones I want to recover, though!

Can you hear if your hard drive is spinning when you turn the box on?

If you are getting a black screen with white wording that says it doesn't recognize your OS, then you need to fix your boot sectors. You can get a utility that does this for you. If you need this info, I'll send it to you on whatever computer you are on now.

PM me if you still need it.

Do not PM me if there is smoke coming out the back of the computer.

If you are getting a black screen with white wording that says it doesn't recognize your OS, then you need to fix your boot sectors. You can get a utility that does this for you. If you need this info, I'll send it to you on whatever computer you are on now.

PM me if you still need it.

Do not PM me if there is smoke coming out the back of the computer.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

god bless technical support :tup:

slave the drive on a working computer and see if you can read the drive. of course, if you got a virus and it fscked with your boot sector then you might hose the working computer too...but its all good.

also, make sure your computer isn't set to boot off an external drive (like the DVD or CD drive) first before booting off the harddrive....if there is a disk in the CD or DVD drive then this could cause this too.

also, check to see if the inside of the harddrive is ok. Do this by opening up the hard drive and washing the platters on the inside with a brillo pad or steel wool.

Find your original install CDs for the computer/OS. These will allow you to boot off CD and repair any boot sector problems. You have a good chance of recovering all your data if that's the only problem.

If you don't have such a CD, you can download a Linux distribution that is self-contained to boot from CD and boot up with it and mount the uncooperative drive.

You may need to change your boot priority in BIOS to get it to boot from a CD before trying to boot from HD.

The shaky screen of death.

Don't trust those techies. PC owners should take the home depot approach (just go to Fry's or wherever you are comfortable and do it yourself).

Computers are cheap, you can always get a new one.

:lmao:

The only problem now is finding the original install CDs. Where the fuck did I put them? They aren't in the damn box. Maybe they are being used as coffee coasters?

when it can't detect your operating system at all, what are the chances of recovering your data?

:cry:

:lmao: