great climbing quotes

knotzen

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In our youth we had not been mislead by fantasies, nor by the bloody battles of modern warfare which feed the imagination of the young. For us the mountains had been a natural field of activity where, playing on the forntiers of life and death, we found the freedom for which we were blindly groping and which was as necessary to us as bread. The mountains had bestowed on us their beauties, and we adorned them with a child's simplicity and revered them with a monk's veneration of the divine.

-Herzog, "Annapurna"

Bev something (can't recall her last name) was on a TV show with Lynn Hill and said:

"It's not about hte 5.10's you've led, it's about the 5.10 leaders you've laid."

I love that quote :brew:

Doncha just love Muffy!

"To strive..to seek..to find..and not to yield"

Dick Bass's montra on the way to being the first to do the seven summits. I've used it many times.

:yoda:

"Are you alive?"

Good quote is in the movie, First Ascent, after they do the segment on the Black Canyon, this old drunk hippy says something along the lines of:

"It isn't about the numbers or shit. Its all about the feeling. If you got it - thats great. If not, then, well, you're sport climbing."

I probably butchered but it was great.

"Are you alive?"

Good quote is in the movie, First Ascent, after they do the segment on the Black Canyon, this old drunk hippy says something along the lines of:

"It isn't about the numbers or shit. Its all about the feeling. If you got it - thats great. If not, then, well, you're sport climbing."

I probably butchered but it was great.

Dude, if yer takin the dude who pops the beer cap off with his teeth, I think you're talkin Lenord Coyne there, hardly an old drunk hippy:-)

"To strive..to seek..to find..and not to yield"

Dick Bass's montra on the way to being the first to do the seven summits. I've used it many times.

:yoda:

as quoted from alfred, lord tennyson

I really like that one, too. After I read "Seven Summits" I started using that mantra on really steep, long approaches.

Dude, if yer takin the dude who pops the beer cap off with his teeth, I think you're talkin Lenord Coyne there, hardly an old drunk hippy:-)

Yeah, thats the guy. He also says, "Black Canyon makes Yosemite look like a fucking elementary school."

I was racking up in the Grand Wall parking lot once and this limo full of middle aged Yanks showed up. They got out with their binoculars and scanned the wall. One of the women came over to me and said

"I know it's called 'rapelling' when they come down, but what do they call it when they go up?"

The following joke is elitist, traditionalist, homophobic, stupid, and in poor taste, and should therefore be neither read, nor told nor written by anybody.

Q: How are sport climbing and getting your dick sucked by a guy the same?

A: It feels great until you look down and realize you're a fag.

Edited by chris_stolz

"You'll be going up all right, just a bit higher than planned".

Or something like that

Don Whillans to some Japanese climbers heading up the Eiger Nordwand in a storm.

You sure it wasn't 'the best climber is the one quoting a quote that another climber has already quoted?'

"You'll be going up all right, just a bit higher than planned".

Or something like that

Don Whillans to some Japanese climbers heading up the Eiger Nordwand in a storm.

You sure it wasn't 'the best climber is the one quoting a quote that another climber has already quoted?'

this gives me the hershey squirts :)

I remember reading this one in the "Overheard" section of Climbing a few years back. Jim Donini was hangdogging a 5.11 route in Eldorado when a 15 year old kid walked by and noticed him hanging on the rope.

15 y.o, to Donini: "I just onsighted that route the other day"

Donini: "That's great kid, you should try alpine climbing, you'd love it!"

"Good weather, bad weather, now later. Any time is good for climbing."

From "The Eiger Sanction" starring Clint Eastwood. As true in 1975 as it is today. Now I'll have to go and re-watch it tonight. :)

"Jonathan Hemlock: I can't believe that you're a stewardess.

Jemima Brown: Actually I'm not, I'm a skyjacker in a drag.

Jonathan Hemlock: Oh, that's reassuring, just give your name and I report you to the proper authorities when we land.

Jemima Brown: Jemima

Jonathan Hemlock: And I'm Uncle Ben...

Jemima Brown: I'm serious, that's really my name... Jemima Brown, my mother was hooked on being ethnic.

Jonathan Hemlock: Or else turned on by a pancake. As long as we both agree that it's to much for a black chick to have the name of Jemima. "

I Jemima Brown

She was totally hot !!!! 8D

Still, wonder how she looks today, 37 years later.

"Good weather, bad weather, now later. Any time is good for climbing."

From "The Eiger Sanction" starring Clint Eastwood. As true in 1975 as it is today. Now I'll have to go and re-watch it tonight. :)

"Jonathan Hemlock: I can't believe that you're a stewardess.

Jemima Brown: Actually I'm not, I'm a skyjacker in a drag.

Jonathan Hemlock: Oh, that's reassuring, just give your name and I report you to the proper authorities when we land.

Jemima Brown: Jemima

Jonathan Hemlock: And I'm Uncle Ben...

Jemima Brown: I'm serious, that's really my name... Jemima Brown, my mother was hooked on being ethnic.

Jonathan Hemlock: Or else turned on by a pancake. As long as we both agree that it's to much for a black chick to have the name of Jemima. "

I Jemima Brown

She was totally hot !!!! 8D

Still, wonder how she looks today, 37 years later.

inspired me to look her up - she's 67 now. hasn't done any film in almost 2 decades - she was in Repo Man!

vonettamcgeea.jpg