Gas Station Diet

mtn_mouse

ok so I just got back from the Tri-Cities for a meeting this week. Driving the long distances I either got hungry, or just bored from the lack of mtn scenery. So I looked for a place to eat, and voila, there is a gas station.. Gas up, grap a bite, and off I go again. What kind of shit am I eating??? pocket pizza, fried chicken, microwaved cheeeeze burger, shrinkwrapped sandwich of undetermend date and origin. Chips, deep fried snacks, salt, blah blah blah. Why do people think all food should be deep fried? I eat really good at home, but on the road, not only do I eat bad, but it is nearly impossible to find good food on the road. What do you experienced travelers do? There must be some good advice on this site.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If I want something quick and healthy I will pull into a Ronnie Rats and order a big mac fries and any kind of drink and just eat the packaging.

Really, I usually go into a grocery store and buy a few Panini buns one of those roast chickens that spin around all day and some mayo, maybe a tomato or whatever, make a sandwich or two. Even if you feed the rest to a dog it is less expensive and is better for you.

when driving down to Moab, i used to stop only at Flying Js. Its what all the hipsters did at the time, and resulted in the trucker hat look that recently graced pop culture. but then i have always been too smart for the room and ahead of my time and stuff...

feel free to ask questions if you have any.

when driving down to Moab, i used to stop only at Flying Js. Its what all the hipsters did at the time, and resulted in the trucker hat look that recently graced pop culture. but then i have always been too smart for the room and ahead of my time and stuff...

Do they still have that books-on-8-track deal going at the J?

That was sweet.

does brushing your teeth after a stint in the glory hole get the taste out or are you stuck with it all day?

So all these "trans-fats" we hear about....... I read today that on the molecular level, the hydrogenated oils from deep frying are only 1 structure away from being PLASTIC. Thats right. You put your tub of margarine outside in a hot and humid climate, and it will not rot. Butter will.....

Road food? I'm boring as shit, but I just eat cans of tuna, tortillas, maybe take a bag of spinach, almonds, blah blah blah....... I'm a grazer...... not a "meal" kinda dude....

Bring healthy food with you. Apples, bananas, oranges etc. for snacks. Water and fruit juice for drinks. Stuff for healthy sandwiches. You get the idea.

Also, when you do eat out, scan the menu for healthy options. Like continental breakfast or oatmeal, vegetarian entree for lunch/dinner is usually a healthier choice (not always).

At the very least, having fruit for healthy snacks takes the edge of all the other crap you shovel in. And its almost no extra work to throw a bag of apples in the car.

So all these "trans-fats" we hear about....... I read today that on the molecular level, the hydrogenated oils from deep frying are only 1 structure away from being PLASTIC. Thats right. You put your tub of margarine outside in a hot and humid climate, and it will not rot. Butter will.....

Road food? I'm boring as shit, but I just eat cans of tuna, tortillas, maybe take a bag of spinach, almonds, blah blah blah....... I'm a grazer...... not a "meal" kinda dude....

do you recycle your cans?

Taco Del Mar...aggggh...puke!

I walked into a Taco Del Mar and everyone looked at me....I looked at them and well, there was no Mexican in the kitchen or dining room.

They looked embarrassed and I turned around, walked out and called my wife and asked her to make sure her guacamole was especially hot for dinner. I really needed a fix and Taco Del Marano was not the place to get anything remotely called food.