Through the crotch zip clothing

letsroll

I picked up a pair of Arcteryx Alpha SV bibs with the through the croch zip. Looking for through the crotch zip layers to go under the pants. I will be using this stuff for winter alpine.

I does not look like Arcteryx carries this type of clothing. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Unless I am missing something.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact, the MEC farmer johns are on clearance right now. Not sure if that stuff shows up on the website, so give em a call at mail order where they can track anything down.

Horribly, MEC doesn't carry Powershield bibs with "number 2 capabilities" anymore. Don, I thought you were gonna mention that "I dunno about you, but my asshole goes north-south, not east west" story!

MEC does medium and expedition weight underwear in zip crotch, plus the slipstream powerstretch pant (fleece with some of the qualities of softshell + warmth) and the Synergy (formerly Shield) gore bib.

Zip crotch softshell bibs (composites and pamirs) were disc'ed due to lack of demand. The former was just killer for real conditions.

That said, having owned 3 one piece suits, 3 sets of gore bibs and 2 softshell bibs with zip crothches, I avoid using the feature unless conditions are horrendous. Make sure your footing and aim are perfect; it's a very small gap and shit happens.

GB

When you say there was no demand for the Pamir bibs, I think it might be a case of a product for which the obsolescence has proven to be extremely long, rather than a product no one likes. As well, the audience for the piece is a bit narrow, so it can't be expected to move as many units as, say, patagonia cotton pants.

Many of my ski/climb partners swear by them, even though they're getting pretty old. I've put ~50 days year X 3yrs on thse things, both on skis and tools, and still love em. The only wear has been my own sloppiness in the poons. Just got down from skiing 10 mins ago and just got out of 'em! It's too bad the fit and features of the Cosmo bibs is so terrible: doesn't anybody ski in these things anymore? Gaiters/legzips?

When I purchased the bibs I was worried that they were going to be too warm. So far that has not proven to be the case. In fact they seem to be a bit cooler than my older pants. I think it is due to the water proof zipps rather than having flaps. Other than getting a great deal on them, they fit me. The legs are just long enough that I don't have to wear gators with them. I actually use the what I call "The Shit Zipp" and I love that feature. Just unzip and your ready rather than dealing with dropping the backs of my old full zip pants then having to stuff it all back under the harness. The only draw back is that my underlayers I still have to do the get the underclothing under the harness dance.