Snow pants

kevino

Another newb question...

Trying to find a good pair of alpine/mountaineering pants. And looking around I have no idea whats good and what all the terminology means? Soft shell vs hard shell, how warm pants are etc.

What kind do you all have? How are you liking them?

Thanks again.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

question.

what kind of situations do you expect yourself to be in?

what area?

season?

level of activity?

willingness to suffer?

My personal summer time choice would be a lightweight pair of scholler pants with a very lightweight goretex (full side zip) to put over if the weather craps out. Maybe add a thermal bottom under all that if it is cold out.

I expect myself in climbing situations....I'll be climbing in the Alpine lakes region with maybe some other stuff such as rainer mixed in. The seasons I care about are basically now through fall and ice-climbing during the winter. Activities range anywhere from non-technical climbing (colchuck) to possibly skiing to ice climbing and more technical climbing as I learn it. I am willing to suffer a little bit? Hopefully that helps. Thanks.

For what you are doing or planning on doing it is interesting that you don't know what type of pants you want. Anyway here we go. Hard Shell clothing is Gortex (or simular material. Soft Shell clothing is made of different material. Soft Shell is typically more breathable than Hard Shell. It is not as water repelant as Hard Shell. But for most climbing situations it will work quite well, other than monsoon rains or really bad winter conditions. I personally don't own Soft Shell gear, but I am tall and skinny so finding the right size is a major issue for me. This fall I am going to pick up full zip Soft Shell Pants that will be custom made (beyond fleece) and use that with a Gortex Jacket and that will work for 90% of the climbing/skinning I do.

Look into the Mammut Champ Pants for softshell. They are a bit much for the warmer months of summer, but they are great in the early spring/fall and winter. Mammut has a weird sizing chart, but they give you the most options to find the right fit. I am tall so I was pretty much limited to Champ Pants.

As for waterproof, I always carry the Arc'Teryx Alpha SL Pants. They are full zip, super light, and they pack down super small. I dont feel bad about carrying them, even if I have only used them a few times.

The Champ pants can handle light rain no problem, and they dry out super fast. But that is a feature of all softshell pants I am sure.

Hope this helps..

• 2 weeks later...

patagonia guide pant. Most comfortable, functional pant out there as far as soft shells go. and you wont have to suffer in them. great for ice-climbing, mountaineering, skiing, backpacking, and just about anything else you coulkd think of. trust me bro, buy these