Marking a Ninja Rope

BillA

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same problem I had; didn't think about it until I had it home (d'oh!). Is it a Beal Joker?

A pal of mine did Kurt's trick for me; lasted a while, but it's mainly gone now. I just keep the spot marked with a bit of duct tape wrapped around and check the position every time I take it out (there's prolly a better way.)

My experience with the thread markings on the Metolius Monster(?) ropes is that most of the exposed thread breaks off, but it still leaves a little bit visible. I'd think you'd be better off using a bright thread than using dental floss, which is more likely to slide right back out.

Out of curiosity, for those of you with the Beal Joker, or similar, what is the longevity like? I'm toying with the idea of getting one ($150 for 70M seems pretty good), but want to know if I'm gonna have to replace it after spending a week or two in, say, the canyons at Red Rock.

Out of curiosity, for those of you with the Beal Joker, or similar, what is the longevity like? I'm toying with the idea of getting one ($150 for 70M seems pretty good), but want to know if I'm gonna have to replace it after spending a week or two in, say, the canyons at Red Rock.

The longegevty is shit.

Check Josephs thread on dynema slings. Same thing on ropes.

I apologise as I read this somewhere earlier, then couldn't find the link for you, but I thought it was one of the Black Diamond fellas who did a test on one of his old lines and the results displaying the weakness of that rope were nothing short of shocking.

That doesn't sound encouraging. I have a Joker and so does my climbing partner. I use it for alpine climbing only and have a 10.2 for cragging. I have even been tossing around the idea of using a 8 mm for a half rope system. I would be interested in seeing that BD thread. In this case ignorance is not bliss.

Thanks Bill - I think I found the link:

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/scene/beta/qc_kp_archive.php#011907

that's pretty much what I was worried about. All his tests look like they were on 9.4mm ropes, so it would be nice to see the tests on a 10-10.5mm ropes of the same age/usage. He didn't really specify how old they were other than they were "beat". I'm mainly wondering just how much more quickly a 9.1-9.4 rope gets to that stage than a 10-10.5 does.