Finger numb & bruised... what's wrong?

My girlfriend was climbing at Stone today and suddenly realized something was wrong with her finger. There was no pop anything like that she remembers.

It's bruised and swollen, and the finger tip went numb several hours after the injury. It is not aching constantly, but it hurts to touch. Full range of motion is still available without significant pain, though I don't know how much she can exert without feeling pain.

The question is: is this a familiar injury to anyone and should she go see someone about it, or just do the ice-2-days, warm-after-that treatment. She's a piano player and needs her finger to recover correctly.

P1010001.JPG

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Layton. I got some more info from her today. It happened during a fall. It is quite sore to the touch on the palm side of the second knuckle of her ring finger. Swelling is worse but bruising is gone. However, when I told her how to check for the bowstring effect of a complete pulley rupture, she said it didn't appear the tendon was pulling away from the knuckle when flexed. This makes me think it's a partial pulley tear and should be OK with a splint and a few weeks/months of rest. I will do my best to convince her to see someone about it though.

Any suggestions for the Bothell/Woodinville area for a doc or similar professional who is knowledgeable in hand injuries like this? Thanks!

From the picture it could still be a tendon rupture, as Layton says (even if there is no sign of pulley damage). If thats the case surgery is the only option to regain use....

But she still has full range of motion? Under her own power? (meaning not moving the finger with her other hand)? Then it could be a partial tear, or as you say a pulley strain (I've had that one)... At ANY rate, I'd get into see someone. Second to nervous tissue, hand injuries are extremely delicate.

If you can, get into the UW hand clinic or ambulatory surgery center (this sounds drastic but they really are the best). There is a surgeon there named Thomas Trumble, and he it basically the leading hand/wrist researcher in the country (he did reconstructive Scaphoid surgery on me). I also know a hand therapist who can give me more names of people in the Seattle area, if you'd like (ie. Northwest Hand in Shoreline). All I really know about finger tendon injuries is that the sooner a rupture is diagnosed and and fixed, the better the final outcome (if you wait too long it becomes difficult to reestablish good blood supply).

I appologise if I sound too dramatic...... but I've seen some horror stories regarding hands.....

Peace: