Where have your Garmont Towers been?

paramagic

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently looking at getting a pair of Garmonts but after thrashing my last pair kevlar mixed material boot I will not get these Towers!

tower_m.jpg

But these are probably gonna be bought very shortly, I plan on using them for summer, rock and ice routes. They look to have less seams and other garbage material.

vetta_plus.jpg

I have them and really like them...super comfortable and adequately stiff. They are a good all around alpine boot - really good on steep snow, fourth and low fifth class rock. They are simlar to the La Sportiva Trangos but a little heavier, and a little stiffer as well. I took back the Trangos and got these and was much happier. The same ankle flex that makes the Trangos great for rock climing meant not enough ankle support for me....personal preference. Also, the towers have a thicker mid-sole which meant less punishment on the feet on long walks out. I also liked the fact that they had leather trim vs. the plastic on the Trangos....just a little more substantial all the way around.

I blew these mixed/kevlar boots out in less than 6 months, never again will I buy a mixed boot like that. But I geuss it depends on what you climb.

boots

for me I will always stick with a full leather boot and do my best to find the lightest one.

the Vetta's do that..I hope

I will keep a whole other set up for winter

225369387_6e65b1eea7_m.jpg

159807145_150d0a0d3a_m.jpg

I've had mine for a while - really liked 'em. Hiking in them is fine, as is scrambling on 4th/5th class stuff - snow's not been a problem either. They've kept me dry in the wet stuff and sped me up the hard stuff with crampons on as well. So far so good.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a pair of Garmont Ferratas which are essentially a leather version of the Tower. They're great for approaches and I've climbed lots of 4th class and low 5th in the alpine with them.

Their only real downside for me is that they are not water resistant at all. Traveling across a slushy galcier in the afternoon quickly results in damp feet. I believe that this is what the Tower GTX was meant to address.