funky feet/ bloody socks

aws

I'm looking for info on custom orthotics or some other solution to my f-ked up feet. Been climbing and hiking for over 25 years so it ain't delicacy. After I hit late 30's my feet started getting weird and uncooperative. Blisters, boots not fitting, toes going to sleep. Sounds stupid but this is serious business. Pain and blood!

Any bootmakers around here? Folks who really know boots and feet and fit?

Appreciate the communal wisdom.

------------------

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man getting old is a bitch! I'm also finding as I get older that my feet are more sensitive, despite ever-thickening callouses. I spend a lot of time fitting & breaking in boots & usually wear 2 pairs of socks (a thin liner + a thorlo hiking sock). Sounds like a visit to a sports medicine orthopod or podiatrist might be a good investment for you. You might also consider getting screened for diabetes while you're at it- foot circulatory problems like you described are often the earliest symptoms of adult-onset DM. good luck,

I've had orthotics for 12 years, mainly to combat knee problems, but they sure as hell have made a difference.

Shameless plug: I also recommend trying a pair of SmartWool Expedition Trekking or Mountaineering socks. They work much better than synthetics (keep feet dryer and definitely less smelly) and I've done away with a liner sock altogether. Plenty of cusion where you need it. They aren't cheap, but worth every penny.

I'm in the process of breaking in a new a pair of boots myself (Salomon SM9's). I've got a pair of orthotics that I've had for a few years, but man are these things tough to break in! As far as the duct tape goes, I didn't have much luck. I might try that boot fitter.....

I'm always suspicuious when told "these socks are so good you don't need a liner". My understanding is that liners prevent blistering as follows: friction is dissipated in the sliding interface between the liner sock and the outer sock, and hence not transmitted through to the skin. Hence, the skin is not chafed and does not blister. If you only go with one sock, no matter how thick and comfy, don't you forfeit this benefit? Any of you 'one sock' types out there want to rebut this? The only time I've ever gotten blisters is when wearing a single layer of socks (no liner)

quote:

Originally posted by Norm:

Don't know about boot makers, but if you're anywhere near Seattle Jim Mates is one hell of a good boot fitter. He recently moved his shop from the eastside over to Ballard. Other than that: Duct Tape for blisters.

What kind of shop does Mates have and whats it called? You think he'd be open to helping with my current boots, trying to make something work? Does he sell footbeds?

thanks-

By the way, I've tried every sock combo I could imagine: wool, lined, no liner, ducttape (just about made my partner puke when I peeled off the tape along with a piece of flesh big enough to serve at Black Angus) Never used to have these problems.

I used footbeds with La Sportiva Makalu, La sportiva Trango Plus, Technica and even Scarpa Inverno boots. In ALL cases I kept having blisters about one year after started climbing in 1997. One day I had this feeling that I should just try the factory liners. No more blisters ever since. Go figure.

The only problem remaining is after a long hike/scramble/climb in any shoe the bottoms of big toes hurt.

Well, Dru, I guess I qualify as one of those "sock" types since I'm sitting here ignoring the copywriting for a sock catalog at the moment. That's why I said "shameless plug."

The theory, and in application I have found it to be true, is that wool (particularily the blend of merino wool that SmartWool uses) is better at moisture management than synthetics or 'ordinary' wool. It is so because it not only wicks moisture away from your feet while it's still in a vapor state (as opposed to synthetics which can only begin to move moisture once it's liquid), it uses body heat as a catalyst and actually evaporates some of the moisture while it's in the wool fibers. Less mositure in sock means less moisture in shoe which prevents the foot from sliding around.

That's the theory. It works for me. With broken in boots. Not new ones. There's no way around that that I've found.

I used to wear liners, but haven't since I got sick of buying new ones every time they got lost in the laundry. I wear Smartwool now in my plastics and leathers and find that keeping my feet dry is much more effective at keeping blisters away than crappy socks and liners. Of course I keep my boots pretty loose on the approach and only tighten them when I'm climbing.

I'm also a single sock wearer and only wear Smartwool socks. They are the best.

Dru, to answer your question with my findings and opinion. I find wearing a liner works as you stated for a short while, until the outer sock begins to bunch the inner sock creating small ribs or folds that soon turn into hotspots and later blisters. I have never found a liner sock to successfully stay put.

Liners - I bought a bunch of Thorlo liners at "Liquidation World" for $5 a pair. really like them at that price! only disadvantage is that you have to wash thenm with fabric softener once in a while.

used to have those $4 polypro liners but I kept melting them in the dryer.

i never had that bunch up liner problem but then again my feet are pretty tough, only times I ever got blisters is 1) hiking with soaking wet feet after falling off a log (yes it was easy wink.gif )into a creek in the Cathedral Park area, and 2) forgot the liners and hiked in a single pair of Stanfields wool work socks.

I always wear two pair of socks (goes back to sports days) and have not had problems with blisters on my heals.My toes rub and will blister so I wrap them in athletic tape before I head out. No problems then. You could try athletic tape and moleskin combo in areas you know tend to blister before heading out as a preventative measure.You should shave if the areas have hair or OUCH!! when you pull the tape off.

What kind of shop does Mates have and whats it called? You think he'd be open to helping with my current boots, trying to make

something work? Does he sell footbeds?

He just goes by his name. I've got an old bidness card buried on my desk at home. I'll start the excavaton tonight and post a phone#/ address tomorrow. Working with currently owned/used boots is what he does best

If I am hiking a long day, say more than 16 miles, I will bring along running/trail shoes in my pack. It helps relieve my feet from the pressure of the boot. I also use a thin inner wicking sock and a think outer sock. For my friends who develop hot spots I use a product called DuoDerm. It is used in hospitals for pressure sores. You will have to ask a nurse or doctor friend to supply you with this as it isn't sold at stores. My pack always has an extra pair of socks in case the ones worn get wet.

There is a podiatrist in Whistler that works out of Peak Performance Physiotherapy who is apparently quite good, but I'd get a biomechanical assessment first, which any decent (this may be harder to find in the US) Physio can do. Look for the ones with the Australian accent, (Shameless Plug).

There are also several very good boot fitters in Whistler, though their expertise is more in the realm of Ski boots, Surefoot does some hiking boots.

In Canmore there is a guy, Tony Demarco?, I'll check that, who is apparently THE climbing boot god. He's ACMG so he has spent some time out walking the walk, and apparently if he can't get you good, you might as well chop your feet off. Having said that, I've had nothing to do with the guy.

Then, maybe socks are worth tweaking.