22 Killed in Virginia Tech Shooting

max

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A comment from an FBI investigator on mass shooters was interesting. He theorized that the reason these guys with no weapons training were able to proceed room-to-room so cooly shooting people was they had rehearsed it so many times on video games. Does this mean we should ban violent video games along with guns?

A comment from an FBI investigator on mass shooters was interesting. He theorized that the reason these guys with no weapons training were able to proceed room-to-room so cooly shooting people was they had rehearsed it so many times on video games. Does this mean we should ban violent video games along with guns?

No, of course that couldn't possibly have anything to do with it. Desensitizing and glorifying violence in video games, TV, and movies of course has absolutely no deletorious effects on anybody. :rolleyes:

Here are some stats for the gun nuts:

Bureau of Justice Statistics; Murders, robberies, and aggravated assaults in which firearms were used, numbers of offenses and rates per 100,000 population, 1973 to 2005:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/guncrimetab.htm

Here's a breakdown of the actual guns used in crimes.

This is important because the main talking point of the NRA is that most guns used in violent crimes were obtained illegally. However -- according to this study from the DOJ only 40% of guns were obtained illegally - 28% were legally purchased and 39% were purchased from a friend / family. Thus the main talking point is wrong -- most guns were obtained legally.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/fuo.pdf

And finally - in regards to the VT incident... the guns were legally bought. The first one on March 13th and the second one exactly 30 days later.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2007/04/first_gun_bough.html

No, of course that couldn't possibly have anything to do with it. Desensitizing and glorifying violence in video games, TV, and movies of course has absolutely no deletorious effects on anybody. :rolleyes:

The guy was an English major. If anything Homer made him do it. Or maybe it was Shakespeare. Then again Ovid is pretty obscene too.

I have to say, that if I ever do meet any aliens, I'll probably shoot them, just out of reflex, but only if I don't have any of the cooler weapons available. Suffice it to say, anyone who plays video games should not be selected for any First Contact diplomatic mission.

Does this mean we should ban violent video games along with guns?

Yes....it seems kids these days don’t know how to socialize, all they know how to do is get back to the video game as quick as possible.

The solution is obvious: Ban children.

The guy was an English major. If anything Homer made him do it. Or maybe it was Shakespeare. Then again Ovid is pretty obscene too.

If Shakesperean or Homeric literature was the inspiration he would have stabbed or poisoned his victims.

Does this mean we should ban violent video games along with guns?

Yes....it seems kids these days don’t know how to socialize, all they know how to do is get back to the cascadeclimbers.com as quick as possible.

At least here we're only desensitized to be rude to eachother.

STFU.....just kidding.

I'm not saying that violence in video games and movies etc. has no effect on people but I submit that if playing a violent video game or watching a violent movie is going to make you go out and re-enact that violence in real life you have to be pretty screwed-up (technical term) to begin with.

Or he could be cool and calm because he was fucking nuts. Do we even know if this guy played violent video games or watched a ton of violent movies? Not knowing leaves this "Theory" in the realm of pure speculation.

It's an interesting idea but I'm skeptical. I'm also tired of hearing people blame violence in movies/games for shit like this, not that anyone here was doing that.

Bureau of Justice Statistics; Murders, robberies, and aggravated assaults in which firearms were used, numbers of offenses and rates per 100,000 population, 1973 to 2005:

This is important because the main talking point of the NRA is that most guns used in violent crimes were obtained illegally. However -- according to this study from the DOJ only 40% of guns were obtained illegally - 28% were legally purchased and 39% were purchased from a friend / family. Thus the main talking point is wrong -- most guns were obtained legally.

And finally - in regards to the VT incident... the guns were legally bought. The first one on March 13th and the second one exactly 30 days later.

interesting column - percent of murders involving a gun from 1973-2005 - averages about 62% over the time span - would be fun to see the other implements of choice

If Shakesperean or Homeric literature was the inspiration he would have stabbed or poisoned his victims.

or thrown them to Scylla and Charybdis?

Or he could be cool and calm because he was fucking nuts. Do we even know if this guy played violent video games or watched a ton of violent movies? Not knowing leaves this "Theory" in the realm of pure speculation.

It's an interesting idea but I'm skeptical. I'm also tired of hearing people blame violence in movies/games for shit like this, not that anyone here was doing that.

this site is all about speculation

get with the program

interesting column - percent of murders involving a gun from 1973-2005 - averages about 62% over the time span - would be fun to see the other implements of choice

frying pans

this site is all about speculation

get with the program

True. I'll commence talking out of my ass. :wave:

This could have been prevented if either everyone had guns or, alternatively, if no one had guns. Violent video games such as Grand Theft Auto should be banned because obviously they made him do it. I miss anything? Besides the facts?