22 Killed in Virginia Tech Shooting

max

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without proper backround checks or record keeping, usually. Thanks for bolstering my argument. Again, it's an enforcement problem.

You're obviously ignorant of the realities of gun trafficking as your conjectures are based on ill- or mis-informed notions of the subject.

As for bolstering your argument, perhaps, but only in your mind.

DC, You're arguing yourself in circles again. Guns are manufactured by companies who sell to licensed arms dealers. That's the pinch point. That's where enforcement can do the most good. Source reduced=black market problem reduced. And that is the one recommendation that virtually all the credible studies on the subject agree on.

You might educate yourself further on the subject and see for yourself.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Horrible event, I'm sorry for those affected.

I'm not going to jump into the argument re:gun rights etc.

But, like CBS, what really got me was the very first "sound bite" from Bush:

"The president believes that there is a right for people to bear arms, but that all laws must be followed," spokeswoman Dana Perino said.

save your politicking for another time, shrub.

DC, You're arguing yourself in circles again.
:laf: That's pretty rich coming from a guy, who earlier in this same thread (and in the same post) stated:

If, however, you argue that there wouldn't be as many violent deaths or serious injuries if guns were more difficult to come by, you're self-delusional and, at least in my eyes, probably not the brightest bulb on the marquee.

and...

Again, the decreased availability of this option would result in decreased severity and lethality of person to person violence.

You do see the problem with these statements together, yes?

Guns are manufactured by companies who sell to licensed arms dealers.
Right...

That's the pinch point. That's where enforcement can do the most good. Source reduced=black market problem reduced

Nope. This is where you fall off your horse. There are millions of firearms in private ownership and it is not illegal to buy or sell firearms privately ("black market"?). There will be little effect in limiting the availability of firearms without affecting this market.

And that is the one recommendation that virtually all the credible studies on the subject agree on.
try to dazzle 'em with bullshit, eh?

I would like to know if there is a board somewhere that all of us non-Virginia Tech non-massacrees can log onto and descend upon with inane comments and questions, from a climbers perspective, of course.

Comments such as:

"A proper belay system could have prevented this tragedy."

"Why weren't they all wearing UIAA approved helmets?"

or

"Perhaps it's time for a federal law requiring all engineering students to carry an 'I've just been gut shot by a mentally defective asian' murder/suicide locator units, or IJBGSBAMDAMSLUs, that are commonly available to rent or own from any fine outdoor equipment company."

can only serve to make this unhappy time less unhappy for everyone involved.

I wonder if concealed weapons weren't banned on campus how this would've ended. It seems to me that no matter how much you ban something, only the crazies and illegals will be the ones left with what's banned. That leaves the average joe pretty powerless when someone decides to go off the deep end, especially in a place where there are lots of people and only one guy has a gun. That's a lot of power over everyone.

Guns are the backbone of our sovereignty. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of responsible gun owners which you never hear a peep from and carry on their daily lives harmoniously.

Nutcases blow each other up all over the world and kill each other all the time. It happens in all societies. Should we outlaw jets because people fly them into buildings? Some people here seem to think we should not and that we should go over to the middle east with Pelosi for example and talk to the people who want to kill us. Those people who want to kill us are reasonable and very upstanding and always stand fast to their word.

The gun control freaks who are speaking with their knee jerk reactions have too much time on their hands and want to control something which they cannot control.

Had someone been allowed to actually own and carry concealed on the campus the outcome might have been that less lives would have been lost.

The division between gun control freaks and honest gun owners in the United States is becoming larger. I stand on the gun owners side of the fence for several reasons. 1) Cops can not and do not protect me or my family in time of disaster or in many situations 2) I own them for sporting reasons.

The gun control nuts who think they have the answer for everyone seem to always have an answer for everyone's problem that never works. They are so ignorant about guns and history in general they cannot comprehend anything because they are also too busy listening to themselves talk really loud.

The fact is that the legislative body and police forge generally spend a lot more time trying to generate revenue from our honest society than they do to protect those same honest people who generate their paychecks.

The real issue here is why can't your gun freak families keep your kids from shooting the shit out of everything and everyone? Every time some of this shit happens, just deport (excuse me, 'extraordinarily rendition') his ass and the collective asses of his extended family to some third world shit hole like Somalia or Afghanistan where everyone needs a gun. Maybe after a few of those, people will keep a closer eye on little Johnny's development. Maybe they'll also tend to keep their guns locked up when they aren't actually sleeping next to one. The process of getting a gun should be like anything else where lives are at risk, like flying a jumbo jet. You get to play with the small versions, under proper supervision, until you're older and wiser and have shown control. Then, you get to have progressively superior versions, again, after someone signs off on your education and maturity. It shouldn't be that you show up with a driver's license (possibly fake) and a wad of cash and walk out with a .357 hunting rifle,a scope, and a case of ammo. This process is similar to what you would have to go through to, say, buy the really really large model rocket engines. You don't see anyone complaining about that process and if they did you, as a responsible person, wouldn't want them to have them.

I'm not sure where to stand on the whole gun ownership thing. I do know a bit about driving a big truck.

Getting a drivers license isn't too hard and most people do it. If you want to drive a really big rig you have to get a commercial drivers license. Once again if you want to do it you can but you have to take another test and drive your big rig around with a tester to see if you are doing things properly.

Should we do something like this for gun owners? I don't know the answer. We could make the tests for guns that are primarily for hunting easy to get but a test for a gun that could be used to fuck somebody up harder to get. I know there are rules already in place, but maybe things could be more restrictive for guns that are less usefull for hunting but more usefull for people killing.

Guns are the backbone of our sovereignty.

Funny, I thought it was the universal suffrage and respect for the rights of man and a rule of law and not shooting varmints. Plenty of people without guns and the whole system seems to keep on chuggin' along. I reckon that the reason that we haven't had a dictator in this country isn't a well-founded fear of what "law abidin' gun owners" might do.