22 Killed in Virginia Tech Shooting

max

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sucks....its hard to remember this but the gun did not kill anyone.....the person pulling the triger did all the killing. The gun is not the problem.

That's absurd. The person did the killing with a gun .

You can fairly argue that an individual's (and society's) libery interest in unfettered gun ownership outweigh the burden of the occassional massacre, but don't deny that guns were an integral piece of this event.

Edited by dt_3pin

That sucks....its hard to remember this but the gun did not kill anyone.....the person pulling the triger did all the killing. The gun is not the problem.

That's absurd. The person did the killing with a gun .

You can fairly argue that an individual's (and society's) libery interest in unfettered gun ownership outweigh the burden of the occassional massacre, but don't deny that guns were an integral piece of this event.

word - a guy walking around w/ his finger pointed out yelling "bang" wouldn't kill anybody except maybe folks w/ real bad hearts

To the 'unfettered ownership' crowd: As long as admit that you are trading off a much increased death and injury rate from guns (accidents, suicides, and assaults) and you're willing to accept that price (that others, and perhaps someday you or someone around you pay) to have your guns anytime you want them, fine.

If, however, you argue that there wouldn't be as many violent deaths or serious injuries if guns were more difficult to come by, you're self-delusional and, at least in my eyes, probably not the brightest bulb on the marquee.

Even if the level of violence remained the same, guns are so much more lethal than any other weapon that the death/serious injury rate from guns would plummet if their numbers were decreased. Guns are also an 'impulsive' weapon. Bludgeoning and cutting weapons not so much so. It's much, much easier to shoot someone from a distance than to lethally attack them any other way. Again, the decreased availability of this option would result in decreased severity and lethality of person to person violence. The statistics back this up, but who in their right mind would seriously argue against the obvious?

It's really, really hard to kill 22 people with a machete and a baseball bat.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Ignorance is bliss. This is the stupidest cop-out argument ever. Right to bear arms comes from a time when a teenager couldn't walk into K-mart and buy an automatic rifle to shoot their classmates with. It's time for people to open their eyes and realize we live in a slightly different society. If we expect these incedents to stop then we need to make some changes.

Ignorance is bliss. This is the stupidest cop-out argument ever. Right to bear arms comes from a time when a teenager couldn't walk into K-mart and buy an automatic rifle to shoot their classmates with. It's time for people to open their eyes and realize we live in a slightly different society. If we expect these incedents to stop then we need to make some changes.

Last time I check a teen couldn't buy a gun at K-mart. Hell they have the BB guns and paintball guns locked up for that very reason. Stupid argument.

They can take my gun from my dead hands.

If, however, you argue that there wouldn't be as many violent deaths or serious injuries if guns were more difficult to come by, you're self-delusional and, at least in my eyes, probably not the brightest bulb on the marquee.

Again, the decreased availability of this option would result in decreased severity and lethality of person to person violence.

So it sounds like you're saying you're not the brightest bulb on the marquee?

Last time I check a teen couldn't buy a gun at K-mart. Hell they have the BB guns and paintball guns locked up for that very reason. Stupid argument.

Oops, right, my bad. They changed their ways after the Columbine incident. Gosh thanks for setting me straight. Like I said, ignorance is bliss.

Make some changes? Great what do you suggest? Should we make guns illegal? That sure worked with booze and currently drugs. Making something illegal does not ensure that they would not be able to get their hands on a gun ( or drugs ). The killing came from the persons mind. The gun was just the weapon.

Oops, right, my bad. They changed their ways after the Columbine incident. Gosh thanks for setting me straight. Like I said, ignorance is bliss.

Right to bare arms came from a time when Governments tried to control everything with power. Read your history. You Bush bashers should want your guns becuase he taking over the world.

I may agree with some of your points but not all of them. I am a gunowner (shotguns for hunting ducks and geese, upland birds) but even if handguns were bannedb or all guns were really hard to get a hold of, it is just as easy to make a pipe bomb and cause serious damage. You don't have to use cutting or blugeoning instruments for this. If people are angry enough, they will find a way. This incident was pldanned this is not some random spontaneous thing......I am from Roanoke and this hits really close to home.....I pray for the friends ands families.

Make some changes? Great what do you suggest? Should we make guns illegal? That sure worked with booze and currently drugs. Making something illegal does not ensure that they would not be able to get their hands on a gun ( or drugs ). The killing came from the persons mind. The gun was just the weapon.

For someone who doesn't like it when people speak for him (see Infinite Bliss thread) you certainly took it upon yourself to put words in my mouth. I didn't say to make guns illegal. *Personally* I think this would be excellent but I'm not naive enough to expect it to happen. I just think that something needs to change in terms of gun control laws and availability. There has to be a better way.

I may agree with some of your points but not all of them. I am a gunowner (shotguns for hunting ducks and geese, upland birds) but even if handguns were bannedb or all guns were really hard to get a hold of, it is just as easy to make a pipe bomb and cause serious damage. You don't have to use cutting or blugeoning instruments for this. If people are angry enough, they will find a way. This incident was pldanned this is not some random spontaneous thing......I am from Roanoke and this hits really close to home.....I pray for the friends ands families.

No, making a bomb is neither easier (than plunking down your credit card at the gun store or your cash an a gun swap), nor is it spontaneous. The psychology behind a bombing is also very different. Finally, making bombs is also notoriously dangerous to the inventor. It should come as no surprise, then, that bombings are much rarer than shootings.

Apples and burgers, amigo.

There was a Chris Rock stand-up (at least I think it was him) bit that had me laughing, but it wasn't a terrible idea at the same time. He suggested that instead banning guns, we should just make bullets REALLY expensive, like 50grand. "I would shoot you for saying that, but I already have 2 bullets on lay-away for a guy that talked shit to me last week. You best watch your back if I win the lottery though..."

To combat black-market bullet sales, we can just make the penalty death by a firing squad, a bit of humour/irony :)