22 Killed in Virginia Tech Shooting

max

I would like to point out that it's just like another day in Iraq. In fact w/ only 33 killed w/o torture and limited property damage it would be considered a good day in Iraq.

Furthermore the news said over and over "This is a record school shooting". Will someone feel the need to break this record?

Sad, just another case of untreated mental ilness. Usualy there are warning signs that are missed or ignored.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cho bought his first gun, the 9 mm, on March 13, a source told ABC. The Walther was purchased just last week. Virginia law prohibits buying more than one handgun in a 30-day period. It appears Cho waited the full month before buying the Walther, suggesting he didn't just snap. According to the Virginia State Police, as an alien with a green card, Cho would have been able to buy guns legally as long as he provided proof of his residence.

Cho bought his first gun, the 9 mm, on March 13, a source told ABC. The Walther was purchased just last week. Virginia law prohibits buying more than one handgun in a 30-day period. It appears Cho waited the full month before buying the Walther, suggesting he didn't just snap. According to the Virginia State Police, as an alien with a green card, Cho would have been able to buy guns legally as long as he provided proof of his residence.

A lot of good that law did... waiting 30 days between purchases. The answer, of course, is more laws. :rolleyes:

That sucks; I lived in the dorms for two years at Va. Tech... I can't imagine what some of those kids are dealing with right now
same here...that's my alma mater...

my sis lived in that very dorm...plus, i had classes in Norris...

wow...such a pretty place for something like that to happen...wowowow this sucks...

I'm a Hokie alum, too: '83-'88. Classes in Norris, and dated girls that lived in AJ. Sad.

Have ya'll seen the news bits about his "disturbed writing" pieces and plays? CNN link

Among the many killed was a person who I thought was my best professor ever during my tenure there. I never would have understood open channel flow and fluid mechanics were it not for this gentleman:

G. V. Loganathan, 51, was a professor of civil and environmental engineering in the College of Engineering at Virginia Tech. Since coming to Virginia Tech in 1982, he earned the Outstanding Faculty Award, the Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching and the Faculty Achievement Award for Excellence in Civil Engineering Education, according to his biography on the Virginia Tech Web site. Loganathan, of Tamil Nadu, India, lived with his wife and children on Virginia Tech's campus, according to the Times of India.

Ken Ying of Raleigh, North Carolina, wrote:

"Professor G.V. Loganathan was my professor when I was a graduate student in Virginia Tech. I worked with him for a research project and helped him with the computer lab management from 1985 to 1991. He was a kind and thoughtful gentleman. I always remember him for his elegant style and perfection in research and teaching. I learned a lot from him each time he gave me those helpful critiques on my works. It is a great loss of everyone from this tragedy. We just lost a great professor and a great friend. All my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. They just lost a great husband and a great father."

A lot of good that law did... waiting 30 days between purchases. The answer, of course, is more laws. :rolleyes:

Are you proposing a new legislative standard? Only pass laws that will be effective 100% of the time? I suppose it's easier to support an anti-regulatory position by pointing to tragic and media-friendly instances where regulations fall short. The instances (and I'm certain they are out there) where gun regulations deterred violence (or the scope of violence) are probably quite difficult to quantify, and certainly don't provide fodder for media vultures. I really can't see a CNN headline discussing how someone wasn't killed.

I can't believe that in all of this debate no one has brought up the relationship between HANDGUNS and crime. This guy had two pistols, not an AK or Mac-10 or whatever. What if there were less handguns floating around? The NRA folks still get to shoot at Bambi, and bleeding hearts get to feel like they made a difference. Everyone wins!

Gun owners own their handguns because they know that someday they're going to have to shoot someone. To be fair, it'll probably kill them.

You're just going to have to trust your fellow American to know who they are supposed to kill.