Tofino, BC cragging???

Sherri

Going up this weekend for our annual family vacation and got to wondering if there's any local stuff to clamber on. :confused:

I was thinking that there could be some bouldering possibilities on Tonquin beach? Anyone found some fun problems there, or are the FA's all mine? ;)

Thanks, Sherri

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tofino is mostly lacking in cragging. The rock is crappy and the hazard of getting swept into the sea by large waves is not to be discounted. There are some semi-protected areas on the back of headlands to scramble around on but I wouldn't bother bringing shoes or a mat.

The Mackenzie Range has some good alpine rock in the summer though.

There's some fun easy bouldering on the N side of Cox bay, and in the rocky areas between Cox bay and Chesterman beach to the north. At the right tides some areas even have flat sandy landings. Go with low expectations, and you'll have a good time.

I lived in Tofino for a year and I remember clearly some giant cliffs along the seashore complete with an impressive cave that went back for miles and miles.

Of course that was in 1955 when I was only ten, so perhaps my standards of size and impressiveness have changed. And perhaps the vegetation has spread in the meantime.

I did know a climber in the 1970's who claimed there was some good climbing along the seashore in various places and boasted of doing some good first ascents around the town. I don't remember his name.