Inuit snow reversal

verticalswamp

I think the whole thing can be cleared up using a reversal of the tired and overused example of the Inuit having three hundred words for snow. Climbers could have one word for everything. Might as well, nobody understands us now, and fewer still care.

I suggest a time honoured word such as F#ck. (no I'm not afraid of it, but ya never know what the moderator will think)

I mean, if entire skyscrapers can be built using it as punctuation, surely we could use it for day to day communication.

For example:

Take - Fuuuuuuuuuuck

Manky - Fuckin'

Sick - fuuuuuuuuuuu...

Etc.

Wipe clean the slate, get down to basics.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The great writer, Keith Mark Johnson, author of the now infamous story "Dude Boys" wrote a very funny essay entitled 'Living and Climbing Without the F-word. He addresses this very topic in that essay. Another essay entitled 'A Clockwork Brown' is also not to be missed.

Just for your info-matation, m'friends: that business about our northern igloo-buildin' brothers having the massive snow vocabulary apparently is a myth. Check out this book by a couple of esteemed linguists:

"The Great Eskimo Vocabulary Hoax and other irreverant essays on the study of language." by Geoffrey Pullman and James McCawley.

Ya know who has the big snow vocab.....ever take an avalanche seminar? And they hand you the plastic laminated card with all the terms like graupel, etc.? Oy!!!!