Infinite Bliss

kevbone

Damn you like to hear yourself talk. Have you climbed the route in question? Until you do: STFU. You got nothing except your opinion. Just like me. You know, if you don’t like MTV, turn the channel; if don’t want to take drugs….then “just say no”. If you don’t want to sleep with a prostitute, then don’t. But I take great offense in you preaching to me to what is right and wrong. You preaching to me what I get to climb and what I don’t get to climb is shit and you know it. And if you don’t know it, I am telling you now. You think it is an atrocity…..that is fine, but to tell me I don’t get to climb it because of YOUR views is extremely republican of you. You and Bush should go bowling. Your ideals are one and the same.

Don’t climb it fine, be pissy about it, fine. But in know way will I let you tell me or any other climber that they should not climb it. By you stating it should not be there and should be chopped is telling me I don’t get to climb it.

You act like its a bolted crack. Now that would be an atrocity!

Edited by kevbone

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you climbed the route in question? Until you do: STFU.

There is nothing whatsoever unique enough about any aspect of Ignorant Bliss which would require I or any other experienced climber to do it to understand it and what it represents.

But in no way will I let you tell me or any other climber that they should not climb it. By you stating it should not be there and should be chopped is telling me I don’t get to climb it.

Kevin, that's some pretty tortured logic you have going in the attempt to string together IB's existence and my telling you what you can and cannot climb. Using that logic people can claim I'm personally responsible for their inability to take a via ferrata up the Nose because I'm both against one and would advocate it's immediate removal should one appear. No way should they be letting me tell them they shouldn't be climbing the Nose. You'd have a half a case to make if I went up and chopped it before you could get on it.

You act like its a bolted crack. Now that would be an atrocity!

I consider it far worse than a bolted crack which would have been dealt with swiftly without the all-to-public handwringing and paralysis that insued with IB.

Hey... Look - the same post and people and spray as last year and the year before that...

Best part of this whole post is - go scrub index if you have energy to do something - IB is only controversial to a few people on this site and 99% of climbers in WA a) don't know about it b) have done it and don't have issues with it c) wonder why this always seems like a HUGE topic when it comes up in cc land.

seriously - this is so 2003 it's laughable and people get all foamy at the mouth to this day. WOML still is around...

the WCC has the best info on their site. Any post on IB is just going to waste 3 pages (wait - that's what we're here for right?) of posts.

WCC Site: " Infinite Bliss (5.10b) drew a lot of attention in 2004 after it was publicized in Rock & Ice magazine. The route is within the Alpine Lakes Wilderness and controversy developed over whether it was established illegally with power drills. Questions regarding the route have been resolved with the Forest Service and the route will remain in place; however, the WCC urges climbers to respect the prohibition on motorized equipment in wilderness areas and to exercise restraint in establishing bolt-dependant routes in wilderness.

Although Rock & Ice touted Infinite Bliss as the “longest sport route in America,” not all “adventure” is removed from the route. You should expect a very long day, with some routefinding difficulties, long runouts, and long not completely straight-forward descent (via rappel and some very exposed scrambling). Because of some loose rock on the route (and the fact much of the route follows a rockfall funnel), you should think about avoiding it if more than one or two parties are ahead."

Bottom Line: A very small # of people stir up a lot of stuff re: IB that was resolved over 3 years ago. The bulk of the climbers don't know about it or don't take issue with it. Even fewer actually climb it and those that do think it an ok route. Not classic and not horrid.

Again - there's a lot of energy to be spent by people in the climbing world. How best to IMPROVE the climbing world with that energy is a decision not to be taken lightly. JH has applied his energy to anchor replacement and stewardship at Beacon. I've done a little scrubbing, trail work and anchor work here and there. I also try and educate the "newbies" of the world to all aspects of climbing - bold trad routes and sport climbs alike.

There is nothing whatsoever unique enough about any aspect of Ignorant Bliss which would require I or any other experienced climber to do it to understand it and what it represents.

I completely disagree. Before one gets to spout off about it. I firmly believe you should experience it first. I am talking about climbing certain routes. Not killing someone.

I consider it far worse than a bolted crack

Why is that?

Maybe I think different that all you old school climbers. I feel, if you don’t like it, then don’t climb it. It is so simple.

I guess you all take it a step further to make sure nobody else gets to climb it. How selfish. But as we all know, climbing is selfish.

Ummm, people? Re-read the original post, this is clearly a troll from the get-go. Better debates on the topic not to mention beta for those inclined to climb it already exist in other threads in this forum. Puzzle out the sometimes quirky search function if you're looking for information, but I'm moving this brawl to Spray.

Ummm, people? Re-read the original post, this is clearly a troll from the get-go. Better debates on the topic not to mention beta for those inclined to climb it already exist in other threads in this forum. Puzzle out the sometimes quirky search function if you're looking for information, but I'm moving this brawl to Spray.

See, I was telling ya all this on the third post. It was just a matter of time until a grownup showed up and reinforced it:-)

Happy pissing on each other. Strange that I really don't find myself agreeing with about anyone here.

Later

Bill

He ain't going to be climbing it now. Nor is anyone else.

Troll...

Go find out for yourself, buddy. Route doesn't exist anymore.

The route exists even if you peeled some bolts. Ken4ord, Nolse and I will go try it on gear here soon enough I expect.

Go find out for yourself, buddy. Route doesn't exist anymore.

Prove it fucko

Don't worry about it Mr. Mt Matt, the route wasn't really worth the day anyway. There used to be a topo of it that was pretty good too made up by another guy I used to know. You could probably find and read that, it would give you about as much excitement as the route.

... IB that was resolved over 3 years ago.

The difference is some of us think that, despite the good intentions and hard work of many involved, that the ultimate resolution was unsatisfactory and represented an inability of our community to self-police and that the outcome was representative of paralysis in the wake of the bolt wars back East. The fact some want to simply put this behind us or relegate it to spray only serves to emphasize the lingering unease associated with this whole unfortunate incident.

Hey, there's a good idea on Bill's part Kevin, how about you and I go do it on just gear sometime?

Edited by JosephH

... IB that was resolved over 3 years ago.

The difference is some of us think that, despite the good intentions and hard work of many involved, that the ultimate resolution was unsatisfactory and represented an inability of our community to self-police and that the outcome was representative of paralysis in the wake of the bolt wars back East. The fact some want to simply put this behind us or relegate it to spray only serves to emphasize the lingering unease associated with this whole unfortunate incident.

So there's a small faction that feels differently and more strongly about this than most. So what?