Light Mountaineering Boots

cliff

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just purchased a pair of Salomon Super Mountain 8's. they are super deluxe. They are great for approaches and for rock. They accept step-in crampons, but they are a little too flexible for front-pointing. Salomon also makes the Super Mountain 9 Snow and Ice and the Snow and Rock. I tried on a pair of the Snow and Rock's but they were a little too stiff for what I needed. They would be great for situations where you needed a stiffer boot for front pointing.

These boots can be found on sale at US Outdoor Store and OMC in Portland. I paid $150 for mine at US Outdoor (a savings of $80).

I owned a pair of the older Makalus, but they just never fit my feet very well. After my last trip, my feet begged for a new pair of boots. I had the worst blisters I ever had in my life!! LaSportiva's are more for people with narrower and lower volume feet. My feet are wider, and they fit the Super Mountain 8's a lot better. LaSportiva makes great boots, but your feet have to fit them. Plus, you need to be willing to endure some pain when breaking in some of their boots.

I'm still breaking them in, but so far they feel pretty good (for mountaineering boots that is). Everyone I have talked too about these boots have given them really good recommendations. I have also heard good things about Technicas.