Light Mountaineering Boots

cliff

I'm a veteran backpacker, but I'm still pretty new to mountaineering, so I was hoping I could get some advice on a good mountaineering boot. I'm looking for leather uppers - not a plastic boot. I'm looking really close at the Vasque Apex boots. I have a pair of Sundowners that I've been using for hiking for a couple of years now and I like them. I went for the Vasque boots because they come in widths, but even then I had to have Dave Page stretch them a little in the toebox. ANyway, what do you folks think of the Vasque Apex boot for general mountaineering? These are pretty stout looking boots and are crampon compatible. Thanks in advance.

Cliff

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check out scarpa. i sure like my SL3's. i also have a pair of saloman super mtn. 8's that are a bit better for alot of snow, although they're stiffer and not as comfy to walk far in. i think it boils down to fit more than anything.

[This message has been edited by therock (edited 08-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by therock (edited 08-27-2001).]

Fit, fit, fit. That's what it's all about, my friend. If the boots don't fit right then your feet aren't happy and the boots are worthless, regardless of all their fancy colors, bells, whistles, or claims to greatness.

Happy climbing!

I LOVE Montrails. The Integrafit system is wonderful.

The Moraine AT are made to fit the new mixed crampon (step-in the rear, strap-on the front). Had a pair for years, comfortable as hell. Waterproofed one piece leather uppers and insulated enough for most lower peaks (12,000 ft and below). It has quite a bit of flex in the shank, but great for snowfields and general mountaineering. I wore mine all over the Wasatch.

Just got a pair of Verglasses too. The fully rigid and beefed upversion of the Moraine. I haven't got a chance to use them in the mtns yet, but fit just as well as my Moraines. Best part I bought them new for $100 off of www.rockandice/gearswap.com

I have a pair of Mazamas that are about two years old and really like them. They are very stout and need some break in time. I have yet to wear crampons with them but have climbed 5.4-5.5 rock in them without any problems. Before that I had a pair of LaSportiva Makalus and though they were comfortable, they seemed to soak up water like a sponge. And yes I tried all the waterproofer/sealers out there. As stated above fit, fit, fit!

Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments. Because of my wide feet (and getting wider) I have to stick with boots that run large or come in widths. This means Vasque or Montrail Moraines (which run pretty large in the toe box). As far as these Vasque Apex boots I was asking about, I went and tried them on last night and they are just too small in the toe box for me. I've spoken with the folks at Dave Page and they told me they can stretch them a bit, but not another complete size. So these boot are out for me. Other than the toes, they were really nice. If any of you in Seattle are interested in brand new Vasque Apex boots for $100.00 (closeout cost) they are available at the Red Wing Shoe Store on 65th & Roosevelt Way. That's a great price.

These boots are 8.5 Wide.

Now, I'll take a second look at the Montrail Moraines and Mazamas. Thanks.

Cliff

• 2 weeks later...

Our top selling boot is the Technica Ascend Bio Flex. It is a light mountaineering/ heavy duty backpacking boot and will take a "new-matic" style step in crampon. They will do a lot of miles on the trail, but are still beefy enough to do 60+ degree ice, and are very light. They also have a waterproof/breathable membrane so they are great for extended trips on the snow. They are priced at $215. Cascade Crags.

Yeah, the Technica Ascende is the boot I have. I got mine from Pro Mountain Sports in Seattle. They are truly comfortable and light on the trail, but still seem stiffer and more supportive than other comfortable boots. It is easy to over-tighten the laces on these boots. If they hurt your feet, just loosen the lower half of the laces a bit and they will feel good again.

I bought a pair of LaSportiva Makalu Kevlars this summer (on sale!)and have been extremely happy with them- it is the lightest, totally supportive and stiff-fur-edging-n-kickin-step kind of climbing, used them on snow, no problem, I'll be wearing them on a SAR action on Mazama glacier of Adams this weekend, wearing cramps and searching in crevasses, I've found these boots to ROCK on the approach and KICK IT in the mountains.

They're not going to be the most durable boot, though, or perform well in unconsolidated snow or heavy rains, but it's a great 2 1/2 season mountain boot and hella lite!