Nappy Headed Hos

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At one time that's what journalism used to be about - public accountability rather than hate-filled 'entertainment'.

You might want to reconsider that statement.

The term "yellow journalism" was created over one hundred years ago to describe the sensationalizing of news in order to drive up circulation.

...and Jefferson's hiring of a New York journalist to smear Adams took place before the presidential election of 1800.

The viewpoint that The Imuscide was somehow a watershed moment is a bit naive. It was more like a concatenation of events that resulted in a rare but perfect media storm. 80's era shock jock meets social climate change meets ratings losing company meets really slow news weekend meets extremely sympathetic and undeserving target of insult with a dash of Sharpton and Co.

It's a story about a company firing a radio DJ who pulls in $15 million in revenues a year. That's a chunk of change, but barely a line item on CBS's balance sheet. Ie, not a very big story in the scheme of things, but hey, what else was the country going to talk about at Easter Dinner?

The only thing that made this story a remotely social issue, really, is that Imus made his remark on public airwaves licensed by the FCC. Still, those who argue for his firing (as anything other than an at will employment business decision on the part of CBS) might think further about the implications of such actions should the political climate change. What if a radio personality gets fired for going against the social tide by, say, critizing the war or defending muslims? All the same principles apply. By this reasoning I'm very leary to jump on the lynch Imus bandwagon (full disclosure; I hadn't heard of him before the story broke, and have never heard his program). And I'm dead against a government agency regulating this kind of speech. Don't like what's on? Then turn the fucking thing off.

Meanwhile, back at the studio, other shock jocks will continue to say what they want, although they'll probably drop 'nappy headed hos' from their repetoires, until their schticks become too stale to make the ratings. Cable/Broadband, happily a zone where freedom of speech still survives, continues to eat broadcast alive. It's bidness as usual.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Imus was on 60 Minutes tonite....

Only saw a little bit but that was enough to show what a loser he is.

Classis quote from the 60 minutes interview last night:

"Give me an example. Give me one example of one racist incident," Imus replied.

"You told Tom Anderson, the producer, in your car, coming home, that Bernard McGuirk is there to do * jokes," Wallace said.

"Well, I've nev…I never use that word," Imus said.

"Tom," Wallace asked his producer.

"Did I use that word?" Imus asked.

"I recall you using that word," Anderson replied.

"OK. Well, then I used that word. But I mean, of course that was an off-the-record conversation. But...," Imus said.

"The hell it was," Wallace remarked.

Here's some more quotes from your buddy:

It's a song so obscene that 60 Minutes could play only part of it on television. "She goes to state dinners with her lesbian friends, makes big investments with high dividends. Forgets to pay taxes but then makes amends, that's why the first lady is a tramp," the lyrics went.

"This is the first lady of the United States. Doesn't worry you at all?" Wallace asked Imus.

"That's not offensive," Imus replied.

"Well, shall I play some more of it, where it gets really offensive?" Wallace asked.

"Well, there is a line, there are a couple of lines in there that were over the line. Yeah, I mean, that was a mistake," Imus acknowledged.

"And drug addict. You know, I'd drink on the air. I'd do cocaine on the air, you know," Imus admitted in the interview.