Blackwater

olyclimber

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows why the first Iraqi was shot, but I suppose I would react the same way if I saw a car hurling at my convoy.

THat is not what happened, according to reports. If you're going to take the time to post your opinion, at least make sure it's informed. The Iraqi doctor was shot first, then his car drifted (not hurtled) towards the convoy...because he was dead and his weight was still on the accelerator. The convoy then opened fire in all directions at everything that moved, including those trying to flee.

Hardly a trained, professional response.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Who knows why the first Iraqi was shot, but I suppose I would react the same way if I saw a car hurling at my convoy.

THat is not what happened, according to reports. If you're going to take the time to post your opinion, at least make sure it's informed. The Iraqi doctor was shot first, then his car drifted (not hurtled) towards the convoy...because he was dead and his weight was still on the accelerator. The convoy then opened fire in all directions at everything that moved, including those trying to flee.

Hardly a trained, professional response.

Boy, if informed opinions are a prerequsite for posting on cc.com, they might as well shut this place down.

I'm aware that the Dr. was shot and the car kept heading towards the convoy, and I apologize if my post didn't make that clear. In a context where vehicles are regularly used as moving weapons, I think their reaction was perhaps not all that unreasonable. I wasn't there, so I'm a bit hesitant to pass judgment on people's actions under the duress of combat. You suggest that wasn't a trained professional response, but I wouldn't be to sure, and I wonder how you would react in the same situation. Again, nitpicking the responses of individual combatants is pretty meaningless in the end. The war, and the larger policy decisions that caused it, are the problem. Unfortunate killings are simply the result. Treat the disease, not the symptoms.

I'm aware that the Dr. was shot and the car kept heading towards the convoy, and I apologize if my post didn't make that clear. In a context where vehicles are regularly used as moving weapons, I think their reaction was perhaps not all that unreasonable. I wasn't there, so I'm a bit hesitant to pass judgment on people's actions under the duress of combat. You suggest that wasn't a trained professional response, but I wouldn't be to sure, and I wonder how you would react in the same situation. Again, nitpicking the responses of individual combatants is pretty meaningless in the end. The war, and the larger policy decisions that caused it, are the problem. Unfortunate killings are simply the result. Treat the disease, not the symptoms.

What you're saying, in essence, is that anything goes in Iraq, because we shouldn't be there in the first place; a convenient formula for doing nothing. I.e., fuck it, let's have another brewskie. If I can't have it all, I'm going to check out.

The more reporting that comes out on Blackwater, the worse their track record looks. That IS a treatable condition.

Is there any point in talking about Iraqi self-autonomy, Human Rights or even whether the killings were justified?

Doesn't much of this whole phenomenon condense down to economics in some form or another? The equation of Iraqi vs American lives. The price of oil. Political stability or instability. Shock therapy.

kieyjfZDUIc

Not one witness heard or saw any gunfire coming from Iraqis around the square. And following a short initial burst of bullets, the Blackwater guards unleashed an overwhelming barrage of gunfire even as Iraqis were turning their cars around and attempting to flee.

As the gunfire continued, at least one of the Blackwater guards began screaming, “No! No! No!” and gesturing to his colleagues to stop shooting, according to an Iraqi lawyer who was stuck in traffic and was shot in the back as he tried to flee.

In reading this, I was immediately reminded of that scene in Apocalypse Now where the entire boat crew are firing wildly into the jungle and they don't even know what they're shooting at or why but they're so freaked out they can't stop firing even after they realize they're firing at nothing for no reason.

And then it occurred to me that at least one good thing will come out of this Iraq War thing. Some day it's going to provide the setting for a great re-telling of Apocalypse Now. Blackwater will play the part of Kurtz's band of renegades up the river. Martin Sheen's character will start the movie staring up at a ceiling fan in his hotel room in... "Baghdad. Shit. I'm still only in Baghdad. Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in the desert..."

Are there any good surf beaches in the Persian Gulf?

The movie starts out in a suburban home in anywhere U.S.A., with a guy sitting on the sofa, TV on, watching a news talk show on channel nine where T'Vash is criticizing Blackwater "a hail of bullets..." and mattp sits next to him clutching a stack of papers, the top one with an obvious title: The EVils of the Military Industrial Complex. Sexy cocoa is trying to interrupt with a statement about chickenhawks, but Jayb is moderator and skillfully puts him down. JosephH, 13baby, and Archy are in the audience, clapping whenever Tvash hammers home a good point. Virenda 7 and Seahwaks are there too, but you can't tell what they think. OffWhite looks furtively back and forth, and slides a briefcase under his chair. He nods to Jim, sitting nearby with a Koran in his hand. They get up to leave, but the camera lingers on the briefcase. Tvash continues: "the professionalism they claim is far from clear..." Without even putting his beer down, KK says:

With all the fuckhead assholes who bad mouth this country and our involvement in this conflict (and others), hate on American and everything it stands for, mock the sacrifices made by our soldiers, etc., I honestly don't see how anyone can serve. Personally, I'd rather see you all get fucked over by terrorists and rot in the aftermath, then lift a finger on your behalf.

There is nobody in the room. He is talking to the TV.

In the next scene, we see Serenity all buffed out, wearing wrap around sunglasses, sitting nervously in his Jeep Cherokee with a gunner standing up in the Sunroof, scanning the wall of whitewashed houses along side a trash-filled square. All is quiet, but there is a caravan approaching. Menacing, atonal music fills the background ...

Back to Lynnwood: Dt3pin and Fairweather walk up to the door of KK's house....

Back to Baghdad: ...

Back to Lynnwood: Dt3pin and Fairweather walk up to the door of KK's house....

Back to Baghdad: ...

Lynwood? Damn, that hurts man.

Tvash, I understand your point. I think illuminating light on the gruesome underbelly of war is important, and the role of private contractors and the general outsourcing (aka tax farming) of traditional military duties deserves more attention than it's getting. While we likely agree that the use of military contractors is dubious, and the lack of legal accountability is repugnant, there is no guarantee that the situation in that square would have been any different were it regular grunts, special operators, or private contractors.

Sure, we should point to that incident to frame the question "what the fuck are we doing over there - what are we accomplishing?" Pointing to that incident to say that BW or any other private contractor outfit is bad kind of missess the point. Enlistees and contractors alike (but not all) are doing fucked up shit. If they start a draft, conscripts likely will as well. I guess I feel there are bigger fish to fry and this is but another distraction that benefits the Bush team by drawing fire away from the real policy debates about our involvement in the middle east. Reasonable minds, of course, can disagree.

Edited by dt_3pin

I guess I feel there are bigger fish to fry and this is but another distraction that benefits the Bush team by drawing fire away from the real policy debates about our involvement in the middle east. Reasonable minds, of course, can disagree.

There is a great big fish to fry, and that is our failed MIddle Eastern foreign policy over the past 3 decades, but it is precisely shocking incidents such as these that bring the larger issues to the public's attention.

I thinkg the Blackwater shootout generated a media storm because the employees of a corporation killed innocents in Iraq. It ties together two major concerns in American life today; the despair about our failure in Iraq, and the well-earned mistrust of corporations that have gained way too much power over our lives (and now the lives of Iraqis), particularly under recent 'business friendly' administrations. At a time when insurance companies, energy companies, and financial companies are fucking the American public in all the wrong orifices, it seems only natural that the public would take exception to a corporation that actually kills people wantonly.

I also think the public is tired of the roid rage approach to life. Unfortunately for Blackwater, it's employees are the physical embodiment of such an approach. We tried our 'kick ass and take names' strategy in Iraq; and, predictably, got our asses kicked. Now, with our dollar falling like a freshly pinched dookie, our deficit somewhere out beyond the orbit of uranus, estate boom that has run out of cocaine, and a population entering the adult diaper era, the public is finally pining for brainier, not brawnier leadership. Of course, the White House party doll that the insurgents, Chinese, Taliban, you name it, have been fucking daily for the past six years has been anything but brawny.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

This seems like a step in the right direction. :tup:

----------

WASHINGTON -- The House passed a bill Thursday that would make all private contractors working in Iraq and other combat zones subject to prosecution by U.S. courts. It was the first major legislation of its kind to pass since a deadly shootout last month involving Blackwater employees.

Democrats called the 389-30 vote an indictment of the shooting incident there that left 11 Iraqis dead. Senate Democratic leaders said they planned to follow suit with similar legislation and send a bill to President Bush as soon as possible.

----------------

Though I sorta wish the Dems didn't feel the need to grandstand that this was an "indictment". Talk about poor winners.

full article on washingtonpost.com

This seems like a step in the right direction. :tup:

----------

WASHINGTON -- The House passed a bill Thursday that would make all private contractors working in Iraq and other combat zones subject to prosecution by U.S. courts. It was the first major legislation of its kind to pass since a deadly shootout last month involving Blackwater employees.

Democrats called the 389-30 vote an indictment of the shooting incident there that left 11 Iraqis dead. Senate Democratic leaders said they planned to follow suit with similar legislation and send a bill to President Bush as soon as possible.

----------------

Though I sorta wish the Dems didn't feel the need to grandstand that this was an "indictment". Talk about poor winners.

full article on washingtonpost.com

I suspect Bush will veto it.