Blackwater

olyclimber

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting video report in the NY Times online today. Blackwater is now under congressional investigation. It also seems that they are twice as likely to fire their weapons as other security contractors in Iraq. There has been congressional discussion of bringing them under the UCMJ and military chain of command.

Looks like this one isn't going to just blow over, as some 'experts' on this forum predicted.

I don't know how reliable the numbers that are provided by FedSpending.org here are, but that is a lot of money!

According to federal spending data compiled by the independent Web site FedSpending.org, however, the State Department's Blackwater contracts vastly exceed those of the Pentagon. Since 2004, State has paid Blackwater $833,673,316, compared with Defense Department contracts of $101,219,261.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/25/AR2007092502675_pf.html

It also seems that they are twice as likely to fire their weapons as other security contractors in Iraq.

One also needs to consider that BW provides PSD services for very high-ranking individuals, thus these are higher profile individuals are more likely to draw attacks by terrorists.

THE INVADERS ARE THE TERRORISTS.

BW has never lost a diplomat. I would call that mission accomplishment. The fact that Iraq is a war, that their mission is sensitive, and that they are frequently targeted might account for those types of statistics.

Pat, have you ever been in a war? No, I didn't think so. You are a dyed in the wool pacifist with no real perspective.

Some would call that lucky. Never been in a war = no real perspective; more sound logic. Unfortunately, that also happens to apply to our Commander in Chief and former secretary of defense, now VP.

This from a guy who's advocated everything from going in, staying in and finishing the job, and the latest; withdrawing and letting 'the Hadjis' kill each other.

I strongly supported not going in in the first place, so I'll take the 'no real perspective' option, thanks. It produces better outcomes.

BW has never lost a diplomat. I would call that mission accomplishment.

So the ends justify the means?

I am pretty sure there is not a single reporter in the world that knows more about this stuff than I do.

Well allow me to ask an expert then. It seems that there's been debate over whether the Blackwater employee's (I can't think of a more neutral term) involved in these incidents justifiably used force.

Legitimate question: Suppose a Blackwater employee actually does murder (i.e. unjustifiably/wrongfully/intentially kills) an Iraqi civilian - would he ever be prosecuted? If so, by whom and under what laws? I think a lot of the concern is over the accountability of Blackwater and these contracted operators in general.

Keep repeating it; maybe your wish will come true. Doubtful that you have any concept of 'reality', based on your posts.

Nah. You're not real. You're either a KKK mini-me or Porter playing a moron. Hard to say; the 'Death to America' post was so perfectly cliche (Porter?), but your last post was pure K Kube; you know, pure eleven year old, not a nit of wit. Hmmmm. Even Porter with a massive head wound, floating on a boxcar full of pain meds could do better. One of Porter's stem cells could do better. His anus, removed and transplanted into Fidel Castro's body, could do better, albeit in spanish.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

it cracks me up how many people pretend to be ignoring Tvash. :lmao:

HEY, TVASH, THOUGHT YOU'D LIKE TO KNOW THAT I'M IGNORING YOU!!!!!!!!!!11111111

BTW, according to an article on military.com, Blackwater is now under congressional investigation for trafficking illegal weapons in Iraq.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I'm sure this will all be written off as the classic excuse "politically motivated witch-hunt" but:

NY Times Article re Congressional Blackwater Report

The report, based largely on internal Blackwater e-mail messages and State Department documents, depicts the security contractor as being staffed with reckless, shoot-first guards who were not always sober and did not always stop to see who or what was hit by their bullets.

Link to Congressional Report

Innocent until proven guilty - but - to those that would defend Blackwater: What would it take to convince you that Blackwater employees have/are wrongfully killing innocent people?