Quarks 25% off at REI

Couloir

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it should be mentioned that all tools are on sale. Nomics - $199, Fusions $149, aztars $149, etc.

Yeah, good point Kurt. I saw them all on sale, I should have mentioned that. Surprisingly the Quarks weren't marked on the rack, I only saw them online. I grabbed a hammer and there were a hammer and an adze left. Plus the tools you mentioned.

Perhaps they're getting out of the hardware business, but it seems they do sell-through what limited stuff they carry...at least here in Portland. I'm waiting for the screws to be marked down.

Doubt it's a discontinuation. Quarks have been around for years, and they're still highly rated. Great tool. PC got it right with that one.

As for the Portland ice screws...I bought the remainder of REI's inventory of PC laser sonics when they were on sale. Sorry about that. Maybe the BD's will be marked down at some point.

New BD ice screw next year. Beats the shit out of everything.

Quarks are not being discontinued... PC is releasing an attachment similar to the BD strike for the quark.

Care to elaborate on the new BD screws? What did they make so much better on them?

Kurt covered most of it...

- 2 clip in points on the hanger for cleaner belays and/or less leverage on the screw in overhanging terrain (not that 97% of people on this site would ever find themselves on terrain that steep :grlaf::laf: )

- in addition to 2 clip in points the hanger has a different finish

- the knob is much larger and tapered so it is even easier to grasp/spin

- knobs are color coded for size using same scheme as camalots (red, yellow, etc etc)

the clincher on the new design (at least for me) is the teeth length has been increased... in the right hands (i.e someone that climbs ice more than 5x days a year and no TRing in a glacier doesn't count) this will result in much faster and easier starting of a placement... no more pumping out while trying to get a screw started :tup:

all of these features coupled with the ice screw that fractures ice the least when placed makes for the best screw on the market IMO

I'll try to get a photo or two posted

Thanks much for the info. They do look sweet...though I'm sure the old version will work fine for me while I get good enough to need the new version :grlaf:

(i.e someone that climbs ice more than 5x days a year and no TRing in a glacier doesn't count)

Speak for yourself, John. Come September/October, I'll take what I can get!

When are they available?

This fall.

I'll try to snap a few close up pics of the hanger, teeth, etc tomorrow.

(i.e someone that climbs ice more than 5x days a year and no TRing in a glacier doesn't count)

Speak for yourself, John. Come September/October, I'll take what I can get!

Sept/Oct: Columbia Ice Fields or TRing in a glacier... hmmm...

This:

IMG_0150_2_2_1.JPG

or this...

3557a_alley.jpg

3557a_ally2.jpg

:wazup:

• 2 weeks later...