[TR] Red Rocks and hiking the Paria Canyon

I don't feel very original posting this because all of the current TRs are about Red Rocks as well, but here are some pics for anyone who is interested!

Blake and I flew down to Las Vegas for spring break. We met up with 3 other friends down there and spent 5 days climbing in Red Rocks and 4 days hiking the Paria Canyon, the largest slot canyon in the world. Just wanted to share some pictures! All in all, amazing trip! Here are some pics from Red Rocks. We did a classic multi-pitch 5.7 on the first day. The first part was Johny Vegas and then Solar Slab to the top. We also enjoyed "The Misunderstanding". Great 5.9+ exposed crack. Bring 4 #3 cams.

Spring_Break_07_263.jpg

Spring_Break_07_245.jpg

Spring_Break_07_188.jpg

Spring_Break_07_069.jpg

Spring_Break_07_060.jpg

Spring_Break_07_048.jpg

Spring_Break_07_035.jpg

Spring_Break_07_011.jpg

We found a place to bivy for the night...

Spring_Break_07_098.jpg

What happens when hungry college students get creative...

Spring_Break_07_057.jpg

Yes, we actually brought our soup to a boil using our iron for our stove in our hotel room.

Would definitely recommend a 4 day backpacking trip through the Buckskin Gulch and Paria River if you ever get the chance. The canyon is gorgeous and it's a really easy walk (all slightly down hill the whole way). We started at Wire Pass and ended at Lee's Ferry. 43 miles total. We saw petroglyphs in two different locations

Spring_Break_07_110.jpg and each day gives you a different type of environment to walk in.

First day is the narrow slot canyon

Spring_Break_07_138.jpg

Spring_Break_07_113.jpg

Second day it widens and there are trees and plants on either side.

Spring_Break_07_151.jpg

3rd day it is even wider and definitly looks like "The American Southwest"

n25900286_31763094_7913.jpg

n25900286_31763092_7371.jpg

and the 4th day is beautiful desert with mountains in the distance.

n25900286_31766471_5231.jpg

Make sure to buy passes ahead of time. Only 20 people are allowed into the canyon to camp for the night each day. It is $5 a night per person. We bought our passes 3 weeks in advance and did not have a problem finding a free date to go. Blake and I wore neoprene socks because the hike weaves back and forth across the Paria River. At the deepest, the water is up to your knees. If we were to do it over again, we both agreed that we would have bought shoes with mesh on the sides to let the water drain out easier because our old tennies we wore were pretty heavy from sand and water trapped in our shoes.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woo-hoo, more RR stokey! Nice to see it thru other's eyes(cameras?) and experiences. Also loved the canyon hike TR. You could feel the warm sun in those pictures!

However, in rating the content, I must cast my vote for the confession about the hotel bivy. The iron/jet boil is classic! :tup:

I'm a hotel rat, too, and admit to having used hotel appliances in ways Howard Johnson never intended. (I discovered that the classy metal tissue boxes at the Golden Nugget, when emptied and inverted, could be warmed with the hair dryer. Made quite a nice mini-oven. :blush:)

Thanks for sharing the fun and creativity! :wave:

Best pic of the trip:

Spring_Break_07_258.jpg

I was impressed with the diversity of climbing in RR. Everything from splitter cracks to long moderate face climbs.

Thanks to LanceGranite for hosting us, and DBerdinka for the hike idea.

Edited by Blake

yeah, SS.

Wholesome Fullback looks cool too, but after doing The Misunderstanding (****) nearby, we ran out of time.

I think if your fingers are too fat for the crack (tight blue TCUs), then Straight shooter is harder than 5.9+ or whatever they call it. It seemed harder than Angel Crack to me, but Allison cruised it with her skinny digits.