May Rainier Conditions?

ClimbHard

Greetings,

I'm planning a trip out to do Rainier, hopefully the Kautz route. Was planning on a May 15th time frame. What are your predictions for the, park being open, and historically, how is the weather during this time of year? I've read many trip reports and it seems to range from horrible to rather pleasant. I would appreciate any beta on this. Thanks.

Regards,

Andrew

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been on the hill several times in early to mid May. If you're lucky you may catch a couple days of clear, but expect conditons to be generally not good to heinous.

From our 2002 Kautz trip:

Crossing Nisqually we ascended up into whiteout at the fan:

Nisqually_015_800x600.jpg

Wasn't too bad on the way up the Turtle, save for the unstable snow (on the way down got an express ride from a small slab):

Steve_Phil_Approach_turtle_800x600.jpg

Cleared up a bit at turtle camp, and were psyched to see conditions on the Kautz and Wilson:

Turtle_800x600.jpg

Unfortunately, next morning std early season Rainier :/

Kautz_Joy_800x600.jpg

Overall, I'd say def go for it. Just plan for crappy weather and consider yourself lucky if you get a clear day. Good Luck!

I am looking to do the Emmons on the 6-9th of May. Will the road up to White River Campground be plowed by then?

The road up to White River won't open until Chinook Pass opens. This is not likely to happen as early as May 6th this year, though if it keeps raining maybe the deep snowpack will get melted down faster than expected. See previous opening dates Here .

I am looking to do the Emmons on the 6-9th of May. Will the road up to White River Campground be plowed by then?

From the NPS via Gator's blog:

State Route 410 will open as usual in mid-May. The road to White River Campground will open May 25, providing trailhead access to hikers and climbers. The Sunrise Road and Visitor Center will open two weeks earlier this year than in years past, on June 15, to offset the loss of access to other areas of the park.

I believe the normal opening time to the White River Campground is Memorial Day weekend and it sounds like it's the same this year too. Ack... that trail damage report sounds nasty. That'll turn that normal quick hike in to Glacier Basin into a trek in itself!

Latest news is that they're working to open the Nisqually Road by 15 May, and the White River Road by 25 May.

http://www.nps.gov/mora/parknews/upload/RebuildingRainier022607.pdf

This is press release is as old as the volcanic dirt that gets caught in your crampons on the summit... There is updated information on the blog; Cinco de Mayo amigo. :brew:

MRNP OPENING SCHEDULE FOR ROADS & FACILITIES

May 5 - Nisqually Entrance to Paradise, (If construction stays on schedule)

May 5 - Longmire Museum and Jackson Visitor Center

May 18 - Cougar Rock Campground

May 18 - State Route 123 will open to the Stevens Canyon Entrance

May 25 - Longmire Wilderness Information Center

May 25 - The Ohanapecosh Visitor Center and Campground

May 25 - State Route 410

May 25 - road to White River Campground (Campground

June 29 - Mowich Lake Road

Late June - White River Campground

Late June - The Sunrise Road and Visitor Center

Late June - Ipsut Creek Campground, walk-in campers only.

NOT TO OPEN THIS SUMMER - Sunshine Point Campground

NOT TO OPEN THIS SUMMER - State Route 123, Stevens Canyon to Cayuse Pass

NOT TO OPEN THIS SUMMER - Carbon River Road

QUESTIONABLE - Stevens Canyon Road

OPEN AND INVITING:

THE NATIONAL PARK INN AT LONGMIRE

The Inn will be open for regular business once the Nisqually Road to Paradise opens to the public. The Inn offers overnight accommodations, dining, and a gift shop. For reservations call 360-569-2275. The Paradise Inn is undergoing a major rehabilitation and will reopen in the summer of 2008.

THE GATEWAY BUSINESSES

The familiar services are open and ready - anxiously awaiting the park¹s reopening.

Here are websites that offer information on lodging, food and activities surrounding the park: www.mt-rainier.com ,

www.visitrainier.com , and

www.destinationpackwood.com .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

First post on this forum.

I'm coming down to do Rainier at the end of May 20-25 time frame and was planning on Liberty ridge... The park approved my reservation but now I read here that the road to white river wount be open in time. Uhmmm might need to start on plan B.

Aside from that does anyone have any idea for snow conditions on the ridge early season?

I'm coming down from Anchorage for a wedding in Seattle and we are doing this climb as a bonus so to speak.

Thanks!

I will be heading up there on the 17-20th of May to try the Emmons. It is about a 11 mile bike ride to White River CG before the 25th. There will probably be bad weather in early May so be prepared when you head up there. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Curious if May ascents need snowshoes or not? I'm coming down from Alaska to climb on the 28ths for either the Liberty Ridge or more likely now the Emmons. Any thoughts?

I can posthole with the best of them but would rather not...

I just got back from skiing the muir snowfield the last three days. Bring skis or snowshoes. Of course the conditions change daily and you might not need them, but everyone climbing the snowfield this week either had snowshoes or skis. There is not a good established boot track starting at Paradise, just a random snowshoe trail and ski tracks. After 11 am things really warmed up and those without snowshoes quickly went back for them. Snow was postholey. Very hot, bring shade, beer, t shirt, and sun screen. Early in the day this morning I was able to walk on a hard snow crust but it soon thawed out. Also, just about every route on the south side had wet snow slides, very messy.