Cheap Rope

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. I've been hesitant to buy another Beal rope after buying one that shredded on first use 20 years ago and I've always thought Mammut were generally pretty good. I guess maybe my gear-pushing friend is right: every brand has their better and their worser ropes (or most, perhaps).

Beal used to have issues with sheath durability. They were soft catches but also soft sheaths that fuzzed up pretty fast. Beal listened to the bad feedback and came out with their "DryCover" system a few years back (03? 04?) Anyway, the drycover is much much more durable. In fact, brand new they seem like they have a hard outer coating sometimes that takes awhile to fuzz at all. (now - no going to josh or l'worth, TRing the crap out of it and saying HEY! IT FUZZED! Yeah, cheese grater rock will do that...)

Being a rope connoisseur myself - these are my top rope brands, I won't buy anything else right now...

BEAL - hands down the best rope maker out there. Low impact, high fall and quality. A season vet told me he felt the same way a while back and I've never doubted him on gear since.

Edewelweiss - their PURDUR coating and "sharp" protection make these bomber anywhere there are sharp edges to worry about (MY big wall rope is a 70m Sharp)

BlueWater - Their Excelerator line is top notch - not quite beal but good.

Mammut - always a good rope but I don't look at them much anymore other than the supersafe (never on sale) because the impact forces are too high for my taste.

Ropes I've heard good things about / like their impact forces. Cousin (Petzl I think) Tendon. Never even felt one though. NOT Impressed with the Metolious brand tendon ropes though.