whats wrong with the world?

matthew scholes

i dont think you are all shit.

i thought it was just a matter of diet,i know lots of good rock climbers in australia because we have alot of good rock.

alaska would have lots of good alpine climbers because they have lots of alpine climbing,the chugash is a great traning ground and you can go there for the day.

i agree there are lots of shit mountain climbers that come from australia,every year they go to new zealand and die.(thats why im here)

i was very scared leading the climbs we did,and safety is very important to me,i cant climb tomorrow if i die today,but i would rather try tecnicley harder routes and back off then go snow slogging and succeed.

all the alaskans i have met have been really cool.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I can add to what Bill said. When you're looking for a new partner don't insist you start out doing some badass climbing. On your first crag trip spend more time getting to know your new climbing buddy. After you both feel comfortable climbing with each other then you can ramp things up.

You can't just say, "I wanna do some badass climbs right now god damn it." You and your partner both have to build trust by climbing not just trading notes over the interweb.

a buddy of mine takes those sometimes because of his heart meds (so he says), but hates them. He says it feels "unnatural".

Plus, he says, he doesn't like how you can't get rid of the thing.

He says, "I could beat the gahdam thing with a stick and it wouldn't go away."

i dont think you are all shit.

i thought it was just a matter of diet,i know lots of good rock climbers in australia because we have alot of good rock.

alaska would have lots of good alpine climbers because they have lots of alpine climbing,the chugash is a great traning ground and you can go there for the day.

i agree there are lots of shit mountain climbers that come from australia,every year they go to new zealand and die.(thats why im here)

i was very scared leading the climbs we did,and safety is very important to me,i cant climb tomorrow if i die today,but i would rather try tecnicley harder routes and back off then go snow slogging and succeed.

all the alaskans i have met have been really cool.

I might have misjudged ya. Generally, I think Aussies are FU*ken RAD. (Rad= combination of a bunch of things, tough, skilled, amazing).

Still wishing you a good trip dude.

My friend, Frank, is what's right with this world. Even though he's lived in Colorado for 35 years, he still has a New York (Long Island) accent you could cut with a knife. He's one of the "1%ers" as he calls it (the one percent of Harley riders that are authentic, original bikers), covered with tattoos including a green worm crawling out of his ear.

Then you know the whole "authentic" stuff is bullshit. "Hardcore" and "scary" may be a better description.

Semantics.

"Authentic" was my term and used here in my description because I figured it was being read by a largely uninitiate audience unfamiliar with the history and culture of "the biker".

You're correct in your description and attribute of the "1%er" term: it applies mostly to those who have immersed their lives in the rough and raw biker culture, where brother and enemy are determined solely by club affiliation. In many ways, in my experience, they have the same profile as most any slice of humanity: there are folks I'd trust my family's life to and others I wouldn't trust with a nickel - it's just a different flavor, but wholy respective of their own law and no other.

There are only a few remaining who've lived through it all over the last fifty years or so. It is they that Frank (and here, I) refer to as "authentic".

Aren't you "special" for even knowing the "1%er" reference. :smirk:

It didn't take a guy from the other side of the world more than a few days to figure out how pathetically sad the local climbing scene is here. Another proud day for Alaskan climbers.

If you're so bummed about the scene up here, why don't you fuck the hell off? All you've done as far as I can see is come up here, talk shit about folks who don't have it coming, burn bridges with the best mountaineering group up here, spend all your time talking shit on some forum, climb a few halfway decent lines and pretend you're some sort of god for doing so, and then get indignant when folks don't want to climb with you. Trust me artard, it ain't because there's a lack of serious climbers up here, its because people hate your mother-loving guts and won't give you the time of day 'cause of all the shit you talk all the goddamn time. Maybe if you stopped talking nonstop shit, you'd find more partners and less people who'd love to beat your ass. Or maybe you could go back to the Tetons and stay the fuck out of AK. Bitch.

It didn't take a guy from the other side of the world more than a few days to figure out how pathetically sad the local climbing scene is here. Another proud day for Alaskan climbers.

If you're so bummed about the scene up here, why don't you fuck the hell off? All you've done as far as I can see is come up here, talk shit about folks who don't have it coming, burn bridges with the best mountaineering group up here, spend all your time talking shit on some forum, climb a few halfway decent lines and pretend you're some sort of god for doing so, and then get indignant when folks don't want to climb with you. Trust me artard, it ain't because there's a lack of serious climbers up here, its because people hate your mother-loving guts and won't give you the time of day 'cause of all the shit you talk all the goddamn time. Maybe if you stopped talking nonstop shit, you'd find more partners and less people who'd love to beat your ass. Or maybe you could go back to the Tetons and stay the fuck out of AK. Bitch.

Please, don't hold back. What are you really trying to say? I'm sensing hostility. :lmao:

Wow.