whats wrong with the world?

matthew scholes

hello all,

im new to this fourm,im from australia and im 21.

im in anchorage alaska and i cant beleive how few alpinist there are here.

everyone has it all at there fingertips(rock,ice,mts) and there not taking advantage of it.why can a 21year old from australia lead wi5 ice on the first week of his first waterfall ice trip.i have no talent,but it seems there are not alot of people who can do it?

why do young people look at guys like colin haley and go ooh hes the next steve house?

why dont they think,what the hell am i doing i should be the next steve house?

i guess im just angry because i cant find a alpine climbing partner for this part of my trip.i just dont understand.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stone the crows, mate! Oz to Alaska? Strike, how'd ya end up in the back paddock of the States??

As for the spraying, be a good little Vegemite and don't forget what your mum said:

"The tall poppy gets the chop first."

'On ya! :wave:

hello all,

im new to this fourm,im from australia and im 21.

im in anchorage alaska and i cant beleive how few alpinist there are here.

everyone has it all at there fingertips(rock,ice,mts) and there not taking advantage of it.why can a 21year old from australia lead wi5 ice on the first week of his first waterfall ice trip.i have no talent,but it seems there are not alot of people who can do it?

why do young people look at guys like colin haley and go ooh hes the next steve house?

i guess im just angry because i cant find a alpine climbing partner for this part of my trip.i just dont understand.

Given that you sound like someone who jerks off to his own photo, I'm not surprised you can't find a partner.

If you're so badass, you should go solo some sick shit and show 'em all how it's done, Young Steve-to-be.

:ass:

why can a 21year old from australia lead wi5 ice on the first week of his first waterfall ice trip.i have no talent,but it seems there are not alot of people who can do it?

Not to put you down, but did it occur to you that since you are on your first ever ice trip, you don't actually know what WI5 really means, and that you might have climbed something in Spring conditions or that is overrated?

I don't know, but Colin is fun to drink a beer with. Maybe Steve was fun to drink a beer with too, and so there is a similarity?? If you were fun to drink a beer with, maybe you'd be the next Steve House???

Some of us have jobs, wives, children, only climb on weekends, and actually have other interests besides climbing, despite our plans for world domination. And maybe we arent so fun to drink a beer with...its been a long time since I went to Pub Club :cry: Welcome to reality!

Total bummer dude, if you were in Seattle we'd hook a brutha up! Tomorrow forcast is sunny and mid 70's!

well i hit a nerve on that one,some times any respone is a good response.

quiet little posts on forums saying "oz climber seeking partner" dont get much attention.why would you want to climb with me?you have your own freinds right.i do to just not many are alpinists one could only join me for a month in the rockies and the other has been working in a gas plant in central australia the last year and has 6 month to go.

if anyone is angry its all the people on this fourm,man i coped it!

cant say i didnt expect that.

but if anyone is actually interested in going climbing,i will be here untill the 20th may,then im meeting a freind in yosemite.

i was thinking of going to the ruth,maybe doing shaken,not stirred and ham and eggs.

dude- you didn't hit a nerve with anyone. you said some lame stuff and got smacked down a bit.

a) most of us on this site aren't in AK at the moment and can't drop everything to zip on up to climb with a rookie climber that none of us know anything about. not generally considered a good plan for a climbing trip

b) those who are headed to AK in the coming weeks already have plans and partners.

c)you're 21. the exuberance of youth is a fantastic thing but you certainly haven't seen it all or even very much when it comes to WI5 or life. there's no climbing rulebook that says climbing has to be the #1 priority for all climbers or that we all have to strive to be the next steve house or lynn hill or anyone else. i am a half assed slightly moderate climber and happy with it.

now get out there, quit bitching and go climb something and write a fantastic trip report. we'll all certainly enjoy a good story of a trip in the mountains.

Edited by minx

Heh, that's pretty funny. Actually Steve House wishes he was as bad ass as Colin Haley. Even Chuck Norris wishes he was as bad ass as Colin. Steven Seagal, OTOH, wishes he was a young boy in a flowered print dress with a pink bow in his hair. :noway:

d)

Travelling in a fried-out combie

On a hippie trail, head full of zombie

I met a strange lady, she made me nervous

She took me in and gave me breakfast

And she said,

"Do you come from a land down under?

Where women glow and men plunder?

Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?

You better run, you better take cover."

Buying bread from a man in Brussels

He was six foot four and full of muscles

I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"

He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich

And he said,

"I come from a land down under

Where beer does flow and men chunder

You better run, you better take cover."

Lying in a den in Bombay

With a slack jaw, and not much to say

I said to the man, "Are you trying to tempt me

Because I come from the land of plenty?"

And he said,

"Oh! Do you come from a land down under? (oh yeah yeah)

Where women glow and men plunder?

You better run, you better take cover

I'm willing to submit that there's a fair chance that being from Australia that Matthew might be an expert on riding a kangaroo to the top of a peak back in the homeland. I'm sure he may have had wet dreams about WI5, but in reality he has no real knoledge of the subject.

Matthew prove me wrong and post an old TR of some WI5 you've climbed or even a 4. On the other hand there is ZERO chance that even if you can do either of those things that you're going to get some total stranger to fly to AK in the hopes of doing any climbing.