Five fingered shoe opinions?

octopuswithafez

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possible the best running shoe design ever.

I dunno, I have pretty serious over-pronating feet. Also, it doesn't look like there is a lot of cushioning, I wonder how they'd run on concrete/asphalt?

Yes it looks weird, but almost no one would have foot problems if we all wore them.

Sounds like a specious claim to me.... :confused: Back it up?

Anyway, I'd love to try a pair out.

I dunno, I have pretty serious over-pronating feet. Also, it doesn't look like there is a lot of cushioning, I wonder how they'd run on concrete/asphalt?

Yes it looks weird, but almost no one would have foot problems if we all wore them.

Look it up yourself, I don't have the time. Basically cultures that don't wear shoes don't have foot problems...even though lots of them would be qualified as serious over-pronators. Try strengthening your ankle wuss. You muscles and ligaments are all the cushioning you need. That said, running on concrete with those shoes would take a long time to get your body used to.

Look it up yourself, I don't have the time. Basically cultures that don't wear shoes don't have foot problems...even though lots of them would be qualified as serious over-pronators. Try strengthening your ankle wuss. You muscles and ligaments are all the cushioning you need. That said, running on concrete with those shoes would take a long time to get your body used to.

Cultures that don't wear shoes also don't live past age 40.

but boy can they run

on concrete sidewalks? I dunno about this whole barefoot running thing. I guess it works for some people, but it makes my ITBs hurt just thinking about it

Anyway, weird shoes, I'd love to try a pair

OK, so I actually got a pair, 'cause running barefoot through downtown portland is a little sketchy. They are actually excellent for running. Basically, you very quickly learn how to run properly, using your arch as the shock absorber it evolved to be. I got them because pretty much every running shoe screws your stride up more than it helps. Sadly, after 30+ years of western culture shoes, I still only run <10K in them.

Your lower legs get worked more, but it feels good. My knees get less achy from miles.

They don't do well in mud and you have to watch your step on sharp basalt gravel.

Awesome!

90% of the features on even the most technical running shoes are purely fashion...fashion that screws up your foot.

We're not supposed to have arch support, elevated heels, toe springs, and narrow toeboxs. A flat, wide shoes with the toe box being the widest part is the best possible shoe. A pair of chuck taylors with a padded insole is better than anything nike currently makes.