Idaho

archenemy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So clever. That one just never gets old, does it?

From Wikipedia:

Origin of name

Idaho is the only state that was likely named as the result of a hoax (the so called "Idahoax"). In the early 1860s, when the United States Congress was considering organizing a new territory in the Rocky Mountains, eccentric lobbyist George M. Willing suggested the name "Idaho," which he claimed was derived from a Shoshone language term meaning "the sun comes from the mountains" or "gem of the mountains." Willing later claimed that he had made up the name himself[3][4]. Congress ultimately decided to name the area Colorado Territory when it was created in February 1861.

Having been born, raised and educated in the aformentioned state of Idaho, I have a problem with people who seem to enjoy staying misinformed about Idaho's diverse: climate, topography, history, and cultures. Bonners Ferry, for instance, looks a lot different than Preston, and dances to a different beat entirely. The author chooses Utah as a comparison? For what, ethnic diversity and tolerance? I think Idaho has Utah beat on those scores.

There are pockets of Idaho that live up to the stereotype, politically and culturally. Canyon county, for instance. But it's a very big state, especially if you spread out all those crinkles that are so much fun for us climber-skier-kayaker types.

i like the thread link:

I DA HO;

archenemy

YOUR A SLUT

me?

yup i be a journeymen pipe layer.

but don't worry one day you may reach journeymen, cource you'd probly have to win the lottery and move to a 3rd world country, but it could happen.

Edited by wirlwind

Idaho get's a bad rap. Growing up in CD'A, we always took shit about those wankers. The good news is their asses got chased out of :moondance: They lost their compound and all communal property thanks to some good work by the Southern Poverty Law Center :tup: A car backfired in front of the compound and the wankers decided they had been shot at so they chased the folks in the car down and held them hostage at gunpoint :noway: Good to see them finally gone.

And anybody from Idaho would know better than to tie Southern Idaho to northern Idaho at all. If northern Idaho had any say in the matter they'd secede and if southern Idaho could they'd let. Hell, they're even in different time zones :crazy:

And yep, the Black Widows are still at U of I as of 99', and the cafeteria tray sledding still results in many a concusion :P Was a great place to go to school :):tup:

I remember going to CdA to make fun of the "parade" the supremers would hold. But then again, I kinda liked that the state had enough room for people of a different belief system. Hell, if they let the Mormons stay, why not let the whities stay?

Time zones--yeah. I almost drown in that scary waterpit under the timechange bridge. Seen that scary spot in the river? Death awaits you there.