WTB - big wall harness

Kevin_Matlock

I posted this on another, more relevant wall site, but figured I'd try here too:

I’d like to pick up a big wall harness but don’t want to spend over $100 on a new one.

(Typically a well cared-for harness is one of the strongest pieces of gear so I think it's a good bet that buying used is fairly safe)

Looking for someone’s hand-me downs, but NOT looking for someone’s junk though. Cosmetic condition is unimportant and I have access to an industrial sewing machine so a couple of minor repairs are ok. But the thing has to be safe.

Anybody have a second harness they don’t plan on using, planning to upgrade yourself, or are they getting out of aid/walls? Let me know what you got, condition, and your price.

Thanks!

(edit- sorry, should have mentioned looking for a large size)

Edited by Kevin_Matlock

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin: don't cheap out here, get thee to ClimbMax immediately and see Darren, Logan and the other dude. Buy new.

Best chance to support these guys and you will also benefit. Put on the harness, hang from the roof, quite a while. Don't shortcut it.

Repeat as necessary, you don't want to cheap out on this one Kevin (this is coming from the master of cheap) . I was shocked that my phyiology was such that it rejected a Black Diamond harness that looked IDENTICAL to a Misty Mountain.

When I use to go hang all day in my Petzel, I'd have chaffing and bruises on my inner thighs.

No more bruises.

They've got a good selection of harness's you might like, the big Metolius safe tech, both the Misty Mt Cadillac and the Titan, plus a couple of Yates big wall harness's.

Your balls will thank you later.

The only true climbing shop in PDX, owned and run by climbers!)

928 NE 28th St. 1 blk N of Sandy Blvd

ps, I'll sell you my 10 year old Petzl Jump which I refuse to use any more . It's "Like new" but cheaper, and you don't have to break it in like a new one. Maybe sew a new loop on the front where the frayed, Todd Skinner style webbing is. (I got that "like new" off ebay, it was a "like new U-stem Camalot:-0) . It has been up a couple of walls. $45 $30. This is an true authentic Petzl harness, one of the top manufacturer of any climbing gear in the world. That may be it wrapped around my wide ass on the sig pic below, once again rubbing both sides of it against a multipitch chimney. I recently retired it. *shock*

No returns if it squeezes your testicals when you are 14 pitches up on a sling belay.

Yeah, I know.... just being cheap! :(

Why the HELL to they cost so stinking much!??!??!! No, don't answer that since I already know. Just wish they weren't so much $$$$.

Thanks for the input on the brands and what not, Bill.

And yes, my balls will likely thank me. Oddly enough I've grown quite attached to them.

Probably best to try on different ones and hang the shit out of 'em before purchasing anyway.

I'll sell you my 10 year old Petzl Jump which I refuse to use any more . It's "Like new" but cheaper, and you don't have to break it in like a new one. Maybe sew a new loop on the front where the frayed, Todd Skinner style webbing is. (I got that "like new" off ebay, it was a "like new U-stem Camalot:-0) . It has been up a couple of walls. $45 $30.

:laf:

Some classic shit right there!

Can I get the "Todd Skinner belay loop" autographed with a sharpie or fingernail polish? Feel free to clean it with a little coleman white gas to make it really shine.

If you do go the mail order route, I've bought a ton of stuff from these guys:

http://www.northernmountain.com/detail/PA12045

Join their club and you'll get 10% off regularly priced items. If you wait around long enough, they periodically have a e-coupon for $20 off any order over $100, which would put you under the magic $100.

Too bad the last e-coupon just expired on Mar 31.

I love online stuff too, and these guys do online stuff as well: but for a harness, especially a wall harness - the fit is very important so you still have good movement AND comfort. It's best to physically try it on and hang as long as you can stand it. And why not support local climbers who have a kick-assed gear store ANDwho through many ways are supporting us?

Like the last Rocky Butte cleanup, that was their beer and hamburgers we were eating and drinking. They didn't charge anyone a dime.

I want to pay em back if possible.

Yeah, I know.... just being cheap! :(

Why the HELL to they cost so stinking much!??!??!! No, don't answer that since I already know. Just wish they weren't so much $$$$.

Maybe they cost a lot because:

1. research, design, and testing went into them (by engineers--and they aren't cheap to buy)

2. the co. has to pay for whatever law suits come from using their goods (hence, BD)

3. you need this peice of equipment (unless a swami belt feels good on your balls)

I also bought a Cadillac and I love it. I ended up having to order directly from Misty Mtn b/c no one carries an XS. I think I saved a little $ from directly ordering, but I don't remember for sure.

I would suggest this harness to anyone. I love it and I can wear it on the wall for three days and nights without being uncomfortable. It is worth every penny.