[TR] I-90 Corridor - Quad Burner 4/1/2007

obsydian

Trip: I-90 Corridor - Quad Burner

Date: 4/1/2007

Trip Report:

We made it! Bill, Joel, and Dan completed the "Quad Burner" of 4 conditioner peaks in a day: Granite, Washington, Mailbox, & Mt. Si. 14,870' elevation gain and 31 miles RT, 15.5 hours from start to finish. Started 5:30am and finished 9:00pm. The weather was great, cold enough that we had snow flurries all day long so didn't get too wet. Total ascent times (hours:minutes): Bill - 7:08, Dan - 7:22, Joel - 7:26, for about 2,000' gain an hour while climbing.

We started out 5:30am at Granite MT. trailhead, Jeff and Peter joined us for moral support on this peak. The snow was very hard and crusty, so crampons and ice axe came in handy, Bill was first to the top in 1:49, Dan 1:50, Joel 1:52. The snow was too hard and dangerous to glissade, so we tromped on back to the cars. 4,050' gain and 7 mile RT. Back at the cars Dan opened a can of Spaghetti Oh's, wow that cold can sure tasted good at 8:30 in the morning!

Washington was a new route for Bill & Dan, we were originally going to shoot for Bandera but we didn't know where the winter route started so did Washington instead. Since Joel was the only one who knew the route we stuck together and all make the top in 2:00. 3,320' gain and 9 miles RT. Halfway done! Back at the cars Dan opened a can of vegetarian beans, and that cold can sure tasted good also, but would bode an ill wind for the rest of the day.

Mailbox is mountain we know all too well, being our main training route. Bill took off while Joel and Dan huffed and puffed. Bill to the top at 1:52, Dan & Joel at 2:00. 4,200' gain and 7 miles RT. One more to go!

We put on approach shoes and packed light in our camel packs and away we go. Some sun breaks and cheerful weather. We kept up with Bill for the first 3 miles but then had to let him go, stomach ache and just plain getting tired. Bill in at 1:27, Dan at 1:32, Joel 1:34. 3,300' gain (to the benches) and 8 miles RT. Took us longer to descend in the dark with headlamps then to climb! Back at the cars at 9:00, what a day!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been training just to pull this 4 bagger off, no other real objective other then to be in shape for the climbing season. Last year we did a trifecta (3 peaks) and wanted to see if we could do 4. I think I've reached my limit! Just wanted to do something to tell my grandkids about.

Have gotten a lot of good feedback about this event, since it is kind of an extreme event, several folks believe we could make it a charity event, maybe raise some bucks for Mountain Rescue? Look for a charity event same time next year, Pro Mountain Sports will help sponsor.

Have gotten a lot of good feedback about this event, since it is kind of an extreme event, several folks believe we could make it a charity event, maybe raise some bucks for Mountain Rescue? Look for a charity event same time next year, Pro Mountain Sports will help sponsor.

See what ya went and started! :rawk::tup:

• 11 months later...

So is this "extreme event" going to repeated this year for charity?