Fat Ski Purchase-What and Why?

jeffh

Time to face the facts. Everybody needs at least three pairs of skis these days and I find myself lacking. Currently have K2 Escapes (181) for the resorts and K2 Shuksans (174) for the backcountry. I would like to find a pair of fat skis to complete the trifecta. Thinking about something in the 180-185 length range (I'm 5'8'') with a basic "all-mountain" capability. Bonus points if they perform better on the steeps/hardpack (yeah, I know, hard to find in Oregon but I sometimes find myself at a "real resort") So, if your currently skiing on some, what do you have and why do you like them? Have an extra pair you want to sell cheap......Cheers!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could get my quiver down to 3 pair of skiis.

Wait, you want a longer, fatter pair? For powder, yes, but for hardpack, anything with sharp edges should do. Soft for moguls, but stiff for ice. Too much side-cut and they tend to ski themselves regardless of where you want to go.

And those big ass shovels on the tips slow you down.

Actually, I buy my coffee from Costco in the 3lb can. Beemer? No, it might require putting on chains on the way to the mountain and I wouldn't want to worry about cleaning my climbing boots off before I get into it. My escapes are probably 8 years old which I like because I no longer worry if I hit a rock or two. If I do, I fix them myself. The term "all mountain" would indicate that I would like something that can do just that. Might not be the perfect ski for powder or steep ice, but can be used for both. I realize that I would probably be satisfied with just about anything as most modern equipment is pretty good. I am just seeking other peoples experiences before I go out and drop a few hundred dollars on some after the season promotion (notice it is sale time). Also, I was serious about seeing if anyone had a used pair they were looking to unload. Guess you missed the sarcasm in my original post. Cheers.

I just picked up a pair of Atomic Tacoras 06/07 model for $231.00! Cheapest anywhere on the internet and portland. Everyone else is selling the 05/06 model for about $100.00 more. They were on sale at bent gate in CO. I skied in the Wallowas all weekend this past weekend and they were awesome! Highly recommended all-mountain ski and fat enough to float (113, 80, 105). They retail for $525.

I have one pair of skis, BD Crossbows 171/115-83-105. I've used them for most everything, from 3 ft of pow in the Wallowas to spring skiing on Shuksan. Probably don't play as well as a big board in the powder but I like having one pair. Mounted with hammerheads.

wtf would you add a pair of "all mountain" (whatever the fuck that means) to your "quiver" (do you say that between halfcafe soy lattes in your Beemer?)

Shit, you not only don't even answer the thing: in fact didn't come close to answering the question, ya just come off sounding like a dick. Ya have to put a smiley face at the end if you are trying to be funny Carl, or it comes off wrong. Like this :grin:

To answer your question, it's probably cause he's addicted to skiing and wants to maximise his experince. Thats my answer anyway, I'm looking to toss one into my quiver too. I already have a great ski for groomed trails, want something where the tip stays up in the wet slush and the width keeps me on top off trail. But thats my answer to your question anyway.

Trying again:

I want to see the answer to this question. I want to know what is a good Phat all mountain ski, and since some of you are experts and have researched the holy F*uck out of it, and probably tried 20 different demo models as well in all kinds of conditions, why the hell would I want to reinvent the wheel when I can just ask.

Post away with the answers brothers....

Heh - I shouldn't write after drinking after doing my taxes bill!

If you are looking for something versatile check out a "mid-Fat" something in the 80-90mm waist range. I've a pair of crossbows that are nice for touring. Somepeople like even fatter boards 100+ for everyday, but dragging them around is a pia imho. 1500m+ vertical on heavy gear isn't so nice.

Jeff,

I have BD Havoc's and BD Verdicts. The Verdicts are great. Although "heavy", they are not like sticks of lead going up, and I am not finding that they slow me down much at all. You are an aggressive enough skier to get a lot out of them. Feel free to try mine (180's), but I might have to come with :)

Cheers

-r

If you're worried about weight get some foam core Verdicts before the wood jobs hit the market next year. If not a pair of Reverends is the best thing going.

it's not the skis alone, and Verdicts are light, it's the skis + burlier boots + burlier bindings to get the most out of a bigger ski.

Just get Dynafits and Spirit 3s and then the only extra weight you've got is in the extra 12mil or so on ski width

Edited by jordop

Move north and join the co-operative and all your spare part woes will belong to tehm.

And if that's the only thing holding you back from gettin the 'fits then that's tres suck.

I have a pair, mounted on my Crossbows. Sweet setup. I realized the no spares was a drawback when i broke one of the pins in India. there were numerous fritschis, narry a dynafit. That and the fiddling if you are trying to use them liftserved. I don't like being last and they are more pain to get into than fritschis in powder.

Second the Gotama. I have those with Freerides and that is a sweet set up!!!! Love it. It does not like hardpack or ice at all, or I dont like ice with them. I ski this set up for most of the winter on my shorter approach tours. For ice and longer I use dynafits on Atomic TMX's.

Besides with the gotama and freerides you can hit the park, ski backwards, or nail those switch landings :)

I have a pair of 2005/2006 181cm K2 Bakers for sale. Skied like next to never because I bought some Goode's right after I got these. Send me a PM and make an offer. Oh and have G3 skins and maybe some crampons that fit them too. Local only. Won't ship.

I like the Atomic Sugar daddy, they are a bit fat 124/99/115, but handle really well on all sorts of snow pack, I use them for skiing at Baker so fat really works well. They are also light as hell. If not these,the Gotamas will rock your world too! Pretty much anything that you buy are going to be an improvement on the skis you have now.

Time to face the facts. Everybody needs at least three pairs of skis these days and I find myself lacking. Currently have K2 Escapes (181) for the resorts and K2 Shuksans (174) for the backcountry. I would like to find a pair of fat skis to complete the trifecta. Thinking about something in the 180-185 length range (I'm 5'8'') with a basic "all-mountain" capability. Bonus points if they perform better on the steeps/hardpack (yeah, I know, hard to find in Oregon but I sometimes find myself at a "real resort") So, if your currently skiing on some, what do you have and why do you like them? Have an extra pair you want to sell cheap......Cheers!

are you looking for a tele or AT setup? if you want tele skis I have some K2 Super Stinx, with the mounting inserts, in a 181 for sale. PM me if you are interested.