Bouldering Accident at Stone Gardens

catbirdseat

As I was leaving the gym at 8:30 pm this evening, several paramedics came in the door. I watched them head to the far back on the right side, a bouldering cave with mostly easier routes.

I have no idea who was hurt or how badly. I passed an ambulance with lights and siren approaching as I drove away.

Then I saw a bad wreck on I-5 at 130th. Someone in a red car hit the jersey barrier pretty hard.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it might have seemed far worse initially. they staff probably made the right decision and called for help. who knows, by the time they got there, she might not have wanted the paramedics.

i recently broke some toes and a metatarsal. it was really really really painful the moment it happened. couldn't see straight, wanted to vomit, almost called 911 after about an hour it was tolerable.

give her/them a break

it might have seemed far worse initially. they staff probably made the right decision and called for help. who knows, by the time they got there, she might not have wanted the paramedics.

i recently broke some toes and a metatarsal. it was really really really painful the moment it happened. couldn't see straight, wanted to vomit, almost called 911 after about an hour it was tolerable.

give her/them a break

They did the resonsible thing calling 911; especially if you're unsure of the extent of injury. That doesn't mean you have to wait for the aid units. If things aren't that bad you can call them back and tell them you're going to take the injured person in yourself.

true enough. i think i would've called back and told them not to come.

when i broke mine a couple months back, i kept telling myself what a wuss i was being and just whimpered on the couch for a while. that seemed to help. not having any witnesses helped even more. that and a friend had just broken their pelvis in multiple spots a few days earlier, kept reminding myself that i couldn't be in THAT much pain so I better just suck it up.

sometimes things hurt really badly and there's just no way to know what the injury is.

give her/them a break

Pretty soft. "Ow, my foot." doesn't require paramedics. What ever happened to "Self-Rescue"?

choada- look, you're being a wank. i know that when i hurt mine it was a lot more pain than "ow, i hurt my foot" it was pretty intolerable for a little while. if you had come up and asked me if I needed help, in the first few minutes after it had happened i might've said yes. i was home alone and gave some serious thought to going to the hospital myself.

i had no idea if it was serious or not. it hurt so bad that i couldn't see, was nauseous from the pain, and got very cold and shaky within the first few minutes. fortunately, or not, having done something similar in the past, i had an idea that if i could tough it out for a little while, things would likely hurt a lot less and then i could assess the situation. it was an hour before i stopped feeling like i was going pass out everytime i sat up.

i would imagine that this gal felt similarly. if someone asked if she needed help, its easy to see how she could've said yes. the staff did the right thing.

i gotta call bs on this one...an ambulance is not warranted with a foot/ankle injury unless you cut the thing off or compound fractured it...

And yes, i completely exploded my foot seven years ago clibming...and yes, it hurt like hell (damn near passed out when i pulled my climbing shoe off)...but come on? Paramedics? Really???? WTF...

BS or not, its probably just their standard procedure for insurance reasons. hell, the insurance company may have even told them they have to respond that way. and you get to pay for it by funding the local ambulance.

i, being a hardman, shunned the ambulance for my recent trip to the hospital. i just called up the wife and told her to come home from work and drive me to ER. but remember that i'm cut from a different mold.

choada- look, you're being a wank. i know that when i hurt mine it was a lot more pain than "ow, i hurt my foot" it was pretty intolerable for a little while. if you had come up and asked me if I needed help, in the first few minutes after it had happened i might've said yes. i was home alone and gave some serious thought to going to the hospital myself.

i had no idea if it was serious or not. it hurt so bad that i couldn't see, was nauseous from the pain, and got very cold and shaky within the first few minutes. fortunately, or not, having done something similar in the past, i had an idea that if i could tough it out for a little while, things would likely hurt a lot less and then i could assess the situation. it was an hour before i stopped feeling like i was going pass out everytime i sat up.

i would imagine that this gal felt similarly. if someone asked if she needed help, its easy to see how she could've said yes. the staff did the right thing.

Screaming barfies while chilling at home, sucks :tdown:

You can think you're just fine even though you aren't. I don't have any memory of it, but I hear that when I hurt myself I told my employee I was going to sit up. He was smart enough to keep me lying down until the paramedics got there and doped me up. Situations vary, but if you or somebody who saw you hurt yourself think you need help then it's best to go with it.

If you really are ok then the worst thing that will happen is you'll get to talk to the paramedics for a bit and maybe your friends will make fun of you afterwards. In my case I did need help, so it's a good thing I didn't move.

Edited by AlpineK