Petzl Tikka XP headlamp

johndavidjr

I purchased this lamp nine months ago, on the strong recommendation of a sales clerk. (I was replacing a BD Moonlight, because its external wiring failed after about 2-3 years of use.) Recently a battery inside the Petzl popped. The very minor explosion broke a plastic wing that is part of lamp casing. Perhaps REI would give me an exchange or refund, but I didn't buy it there. In terms of warrantee, I suppose it was the battery that failed and not the headlamp, which cost nearly $50!!!. I've only had a battery explode once previously, about 15 years ago, and it didn't harm the very cheap REI lamp it was powering. --------

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Certain Petzl headlamps are not compatible with litium batteries. Below is an excerpt from thier website:

Limitations on use of AA/LR6 and AAA/LR03 Lithium batteries with headlamps.

This information does not apply to the e+Lite which was designed to work with CR2032 Lithium batteries.

Lithium batteries are lighter and give longer burn times at low temperature than traditional Alkaline batteries.

Due to recent advances in the performance characteristics of Lithium batteries (especially their higher output during discharge), they can cause the lamp to overheat and possibly damage the LEDs.

Do not use Lithium batteries with the following lamps

* TIKKA / ZIPKA range: TIKKINA / TIKKA / ZIPKA / TACTIKKA / TIKKA PLUS / ZIPKA PLUS / TACTIKKA PLUS / TIKKA XP / TACTIKKA XP / TIKKA XP ATEX / TIKKA XP HAZLOC.

* MYO range: MYOLITE 3 / MYO 3 noir / MYO XP.

* DUO range: DUO LED 5.

* SAXO AQUA.

* Discontinued headlamps: MYOBELT 3, DUO LED 3.

• 1 month later...

I learned of this issue after using lithiums in my tikka xp for a year or so. The headlamp seems to work fine still, but I'll be buying something regulated next time, probably a princeton tec. Maybe petzl will wake up and regulate their headlamps soon.