(b) A personal locator beacon transmitter;

© A Mount Hood mountain locator unit; or

(d) Other comparable device.

(2) + } A person who guides for compensation an organized group

that includes children under 18 years of age on any mountain

{ + at a point + } above the timberline { - must - }

{ + shall + }carry an altimeter, a contour map of the area and

a compass."

I can yell really loud. Does that count as an other comparable device?

In the end, I'll be the first to say this bill as enacted is pretty tame. The problem is the precident that it sets, and the knee jerk enviroment that it got enacted in. Its pretty stupid as is, and I'm sure few people will go along with it, but it could have been passed as origonally written, which was way over the top.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The law does seem tame. But it’s the fact that professional groups such as PMR and professional people such as Jon Jarvis are not being listened to. It seems like the fat cats up on Capitol Hill would listen to the professionals. Instead the law is being enacted by a bunch of clowns who don’t know shit about what they’re talking about. Seems backwards to me.

"mountain climbing ....elevation above 10,000 feet.."

When I "hike" Hood, I never go 10,000 feet above the start of my climb..ah excuse me "hike", so the law never will apply to me.

Its fucking poorly worded and should be tossed on those grounds alone.

Your from Oregon are fuc_)ed... This is silly shi* when you consider the posts made before about dipshits in small boats and such who require a rescue much more than us. I promise not to spend money in Oregon this year... Promise... I will spend it in the better state to the north that has no such silly bullshi%.....

Keeping it PG incase the MLU nazi's are reading....

ps.. fuck you mlu nazi's.

Your from Oregon are fuc_)ed... This is silly shi* when you consider the posts made before about dipshits in small boats and such who require a rescue much more than us. I promise not to spend money in Oregon this year... Promise... I will spend it in the better state to the north that has no such silly bullshi%.....

Keeping it PG incase the MLU nazi's are reading....

ps.. fuck you mlu nazi's.

Tell us how you really feel!

What'dya expect? That's politics as usual.

True, but that doesn't make it any less gay.

True, but I never said that made it any less geh. :smirk:

:nurd:

yeah, my bad, point recieved! let us agree that this whole thing is gay!

I agree, this whole MLU thing is really really really geh!

Seriously. The majority of us head up there on skis. You think they would actually catch us? Not a chance! Plus, they have no enforcement control. They can issue you tickets. They can't arrest you! And if you don't have your id or anything on you, then how can they write you a ticket? Good luck!

Haven't you ever seen On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

on-her-majestys-secret-service_affiche-fr.jpg

I am curious how forcing everyone to do things the way you want to is “gay.” “Gay” would seem to be going against the way everyone else wants you to do things. Gay would seem to be showing your independence. If we are going to insult gay people by calling everything we feel negative about “gay,” then perhaps we should at least try to show the intellectual supremacy of insulting them correctly. To me, the new rule would seem to be republican heterosexuality at it’s finest, and perhaps a little more gay thinking would help the system.

Just my thoughts.

edit: and yes, I am wearing a man-skirt in the photo.

Edited by high_on_rock

To everyone that is still interested in this issue I have a good news update. As of this afternoon I believe I can say it is dead. The bill went to a Senate committee and the chair of that committee has come out in opposition and said she does not plan on giving the bill a hearing. It has been a real education in politices in our fight against this ill-conceived legislation. I am pleased that in the end reason and good sense seems to have won out. Lets keep up the fight to keep Mt Hood free and fun and dangerous.

Now go out there and learn how to use your compass.

To everyone that is still interested in this issue I have a good news update. As of this afternoon I believe I can say it is dead. The bill went to a Senate committee and the chair of that committee has come out in opposition and said she does not plan on giving the bill a hearing. It has been a real education in politices in our fight against this ill-conceived legislation. I am pleased that in the end reason and good sense seems to have won out. Lets keep up the fight to keep Mt Hood free and fun and dangerous.

Now go out there and learn how to use your compass.

Thanks much for that update. :brew:

Thanks to everyone who responded and helped oppose this bill. I wrote my Rep. but there are those out there who did a whole lot more. Climbers united on this and we were able to not let legislation get in our way or regulate us into the ground. This will happen over and over in our climbing lives and we have to do everything possible to ensure that the next bill or law does not infringe on our freedoms to climb when and where we want (within reason) and how we climb. Thanks again Rocky, the Access Fund, all SAR folks who opposed this, and everyone who was in the trenches fighting the good fight.