Good neighborhoods to live in seattle

layton

Mike, you didn't really like the area we live, West Seattle, Ballard is more in the city & next to the clambering gym. Living in the city is a friggin drag, but I agree live in the place you'll be spending the most time in so you can stay outta the General. Papers have the same ads as Craigslist.

You should live on Capital hill, you would fit in really well there, and you won't have any problem picking up any transgender crossdressers.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both the climbing gyms in Seattle are near the ship canal in Ballard/Magnolia. They are pretty much a PITA to get to unless you live in one of those areas (not THAT much of a PITA though, like 20-30 minutes instead of 5). Magnolia is a terrific place for running, probably not the hopping in-scene you desire, but a close shot to Belltown. It's probably pretty pricey, but there are probably affordable dirtbag apt buildings near the train tracks.

Ballard is probably also cool for running if you're OK with neighborhood street running. Not a lot of big nasty arterials to deal with (but that makes it harder to get around via car).

Don't forget proximity to the UW Rock! It's sort of a PITA to park at (or get to during traffic CF) but quite nice if you're close enough to run/bike. Problem is that housing prices go up proportional to your proximity to the UW. Though, of course, student slum apts are plentiful. Forget parking though.

Lake City is quiet, but probably boring for hipsters. As mentioned, it's right on the way to Index. If looking for apts there's plentiful slum apts in the general area of NE 125th St and Lake City Way. Reasonably affordable houses too (must be, many cc.commies appear to have settled here).

South of the ship canal on the East side of Seattle (Montlake, Madison, Capitol Hill) might be doable. Close to the UW rock. Lots of gay cruising areas. Maybe you could rent the scene of the Capitol Hill Massacre fairly cheap?

I moved out of the city to the suburbs where it is less congested, less expensive, 10 minutes or so from Lake City. My area is not much good for entertainment or restaurants but on weekends and nights after work it really isn't a problem going anywhere in Seattle or the eastside I want. The bike trail near Lake Washington is only a mile away. There are several climbing gyms around and I usually drive to Ballard if I want to climb, 30-35 min. drive at night. If heading to the mountains access is good, I'm already out of the city.

Access is best to mountains right in Seattle (Ballard, etc.) From there, you can go N, W, E, or S with equal ease. I'd say, if you're a gym rat, proximity to the ship canal and the two clubs there is important. This will also put you smack in the center of Seattle's best nightlife.

Proximity to Hwy 99 (W of I 5) is important for a quick exit out of the city. It now links easily with I 90 going east. I 5 sucks, and it's counterparts on the East side (Hwy 405) is, at this point, fucking unusable. Avoid at all costs.

The East side of Lake Washington is great if you crave the feeling of being in a coma. Lot's of great cul de sacs, schools, and gridlock traffic.

In short: Ballard.

Access is best to mountains right in Seattle (Ballard, etc.) From there, you can go N, W, E, or S with equal ease. I'd say, if you're a gym rat, proximity to the ship canal and the two clubs there is important. This will also put you smack in the center of Seattle's best nightlife.

Proximity to Hwy 99 (W of I 5) is important for a quick exit out of the city. It now links easily with I 90 going east. I 5 sucks, and it's counterparts on the East side (Hwy 405) is, at this point, fucking unusable. Avoid at all costs.

The East side of Lake Washington is great if you crave the feeling of being in a coma. Lot's of great cul de sacs, schools, and gridlock traffic.

In short: Ballard.

Or West Seattle :tup: :tup:

Then we'd have more of an excuse to do WS Pub Clubs more often, too.

Places to avoid:

- Ranier Valley

- First Hill,

-Northgate,

-Large swaths of Capitol Hill unless you like find alocholo-junkie-transients and the myriad benefits they bring to any neighborhood,

-Belltown. Supposedly some nightlife type stuff there but not the most desirable or affordable place to live.

-Lake City/Kenmore.

-Anyplace north of Greenwood.

Mike-

I am 30, like to climb, and I live in Greenlake/Greenwood. You are close to running (Greenlake, Golden Garden, CarKeek Park). I like the social sceen as well. Always hot chicks running down at the lake, the bars are cool with good laid back feel, and good COFFEE. You are a 10 minute bike ride from Ballard (climbing gyms, good bars, 2nd Ascent), Freemont (good bars, more hot girls), and The U-District (18-22 y/o hot girls). Good access to I-5 for getting in and out of the city. I say avoid Captial Hill, Northgate, Queen Anne and all of Shoreline.