Good neighborhoods to live in seattle

layton

I may be moving to Seattle very soon, and I really haven't spent much time there, so I don't know my way around at all.

While looking for a place to live, what are some neighborhoods or areas I should concider that would be fun for a 30 year old single climber who is poor, but not for long?

And if you're looking for a rommie, I'm available I guess.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be moving to Seattle very soon, and I really haven't spent much time there, so I don't know my way around at all.

While looking for a place to live, what are some neighborhoods or areas I should concider that would be fun for a 30 year old single climber who is poor, but not for long?

And if you're looking for a rommie, I'm available I guess.

Bro if you did not climb, I would say live in West Seattle. But since you do climb, head for the hills. Gold bar rules.

I'm up in the Lake City area and have been for 5 years or so. For me it's a good balance of affordable, and not to sketchy. Certainly not a party scene and no good pubs I can stumble home from but close to I-5 so it's easy to get out.

Ballard, Freemont, and Wallingford are cool, better pubs, more expensive of course, and Freemond/Ballard a bit harder to get out of. Same thing with Capitol Hill, and Queen Anne.

South Seattle has a bit of a sketchy reputation but I think for hte most part it's fine. Prices are also more reasonable. West Seattle lacks the cool factor, is a little harder to get out of, but seems pretty nice and more reasonable prices than the "cool" places.

Ballard/Freemont/Phinney Ridge/Green Lake/ and possibly Greenwood.

Freelard is probably the best in many respects, with resonably affordably living, close to some nightlife and the climbing gyms. Getting to/from downtown/I-5 at any point during the weekdays probably sucks unless you can get there via bus or bike.

If I wanted to live in a small town close to climbing, I wouldn't choose Seattle, so I'd rather live in an area where there's fun things to do, close to places to run/bike, go to the climbing gym, get coffee. I also don't want to live in a ma and pa retired neighborhood. Does that narrow the search?

What are good rescourses for looking for a place (besides the ever-helpful Craigslist)? Are there local papers or things like that?

I really appreciate the help!

Getting anywhere at any time during rush hour (which includes saturday and sunday afternoons 1/2 the time) is a PITA and doesn't matter if it's I-5, 99, bus, albatross, or riding Archie's dogs.

Now just think how much fun it's going to be when they start "fixing" 99 :moondance::cry:

I think just about everywhere mentioned in Seattle is good for what you are looking for. Maybe try to locate close to where you will be working to make your commute easier.

Best advice here. Don't spend your life on the freeway, live close. The freeways here suck. 405 is a parking lot.